Hi! I'm the student with ADHD who always did good

Hi Brains!
Nice to meet you all! For some time I was doubting to post something because my native language isn’t English. Now, I finally have the courage so I would like to tell you my life (a short part :slight_smile:). I could also use some advice, but that is at the end of my post!

I’m a 16 year old girl and I am known as the kid with all this potential, like most of you, I think. My grades dropped once in a while but overall they were good. I always participated at contests about logical thinking and math in my country. The results were better than those of my classmates.
What people, or especially my teachers, thought was strange about me was that my grades of math weren’t as good as should be if you are good at those contests. They began saying I was lazy and should start stuying but didn’t believe me when I said I already did everything I could.
I started searching a reason why I couldn’t use “all that potential” and found How to ADHD. All the symptoms were normal to me, but when I talked about it with some of my friends, I realized they weren’t.

Luckily I have understanding parents. My father didn’t understand me, but wants me to be happy. And my mother realised she knows the feelings. Because my older brother also copes with the hyperactive ADHD and autism and was diagnosed at a young age, it was easier for me to say I wanted to get tested. My father didn’t like it, he thought everything was fine with me, but because I wanted it so hard, he let me do it.
About a week ago I received my test results: I have the combined type of ADHD and mild autism. I’m happy to finally have an explanation and an option to do something about it.

Now the part where I need advice:
I’ve always been a problem at my school, I never felt good or accepted and because of my impulsivity said some things I better did not. My teachers already did a lot for me and most of them really did their best. I don’t want to disturb them all the time.
Should I tell them I have ADHD or should I just try to do it this way?

4 Likes

First of all, HI! and welcome to the tribe, @FieF!

Glad to hear you had a pretty good experience and an understanding family.:blush: And hopefully you can get the help you need, medically or therapeutically.

And we have LOTS of people here who aren’t native speakers of English.:wink: So don’t feel bad about your language, we understand. I’m not a native speaker either.:sweat_smile:

As to your question, it’s a tough one that you have to decide for yourself, since you know your teachers more than we do. But I would think that they might more easily understand why you have asked for all the help you have been getting from them. Maybe they won’t be able to offer more help, you might even tell them that you don’t want to trouble them more than you already do, but you want to thank them for the help they’ve given you so far, and explain why you have needed it.

That way, it’s not asking for more help, but wanting to explain, help them understand why you’ve been asking for extra help.:blush: And since you have an official diagnosis now, hopefully they’ll be a little more understanding of your need for extra help.:wink:

Good luck with the math competitions, I always thought they were fun too!:grin: What country are you competing in?:smile:

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for your response! It gives me the courage to explain my ADHD to my teachers but I still have time to decide what to do :smile: because I don’t have school for the next two weeks :stuck_out_tongue:. I compete in Belgium, there are a lot of possibilities and at the moment I’m the only girl in my team :blush:! It really is fun, one of the other students in the team also has ADHD so I always connect with him very well!

2 Likes

Hi FieF, welcome to the tribe!

Don’t worry about your English at all. I know it can be difficult, but you’re doing fine. We all come from somewhere.

I’s agree with @Marodir about telling your teachers. It can go well, it can go badly, or it can go “whatever”. Only you can make that choice, and it might be worth asking them if you can tell them in secret first. Not everybody needs to know, unless you want them to know.

I won a maths competition at school too. It was a complete surprise to me, and most other people too. :slight_smile: I think what worked well for me was that the questions were not part of the curriculum, so a bit of lateral thinking helped, and ADHD is good for that.

I won the competition just when everything else was starting to go downhill for me. My grades had slipped badly, so getting the prize was nice.

Good luck with your competition! And congratulations on your diagnosis! You’re in the tribe now. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @Smoj!
I’m not sure what I’m going to not yet, but I’ll post it when I told my teachers or decided not to do it. And yes, I do really like the competitions because they give me a feeling I can do well and I can be smart :smile:. It is a moment of hyperfocus for me and the results are mostly good what is a motivation for me to go on and do my best in school :blush:.

1 Like

Hehe, in that case enjoy your holidays!:grin::+1:
But yeah, it’s cool that the math contests make you feel good about school and gives you some confidence. In fact, I think that when we are able to hyperfocus on things, we can do a lot better than neuro-typical people can because we absorb information and process it faster.:sweat_smile:
And good to hear that you have plenty of opportunities, and have a team mate who also understands what ADHD is like.:wink: We didn’t have too many opportunities where I went to high school, but I used to just have fun, showing up to practice with the school team participating in the maths olympics. We would sit around having fun with the questions.:grin:

1 Like

Thank you :laughing:! and yes indeed, having fun is the most important thing. Good that you did have that! I don’t know what I would do without it, so I’m really thankful for the team and teachers who do organise it :slight_smile:.

2 Likes