Hi New Brain Here!

Hi, My name is Jordan and I have adult ADHD. I’m 30 years old and I decided to Join this forum to here how others deal with there ADHD after watching this video. Am I Lazy, Stupid, Messy, Flaky? ADHD - YouTube. Which brought me to tears because I have had people tell me in school and at home that I was lazy, un-motivated, inconsistent, and stupid. Deep down I knew that I didn’t want to be, but like she said in the video I internalized those criticisms and felt shame.

Besides that I’m excited to be on this forum. haha

2 Likes

Welcome to the tribe! I am also sort of new here so it’s nice to meet you new brain! :grinning:

Nice to meet you too!

Greetings and felicitations!

I am 43 and just started treating my ADHD last month, in large part thanks to the YouTube channel. Can’t wait to get to know you!

Hello @Sonic91 . Welcome here on the HowToADHD forums!

Yeah, it’s hard not to take criticisms personally and feel ashamed for having limitations, as if they are an assessment of who we are. Many people don’ recognize or understand the struggles that we go through.

What’s really important is that you are you!

It’s that last bit that’s revealing of who you are…those labels don’t define you, because you define who you are, you know your heart and your mind. Sure, ADHD can make things hard, but it also makes life really interesting at times.

And as you will find out on this forum, there are some really cool and interesting people who also have ADHD!

Hello I am newly diagnosed as I have got adhd it has also explained a lot for me as I was always disorganized and messy lazy and lose things. You are not alone we just need to make sense and find ways to help us improve are daily lives and shine

1 Like

I agree (100%) with @j_d_aengus

“labels don’t define you, because you define who you are, you know your heart and your mind. Sure, ADHD can make things hard, but it also makes life really interesting at times.”

And as you will find out on this forum, there are some really cool and interesting people who also have ADHD!

Welcome @Sonic91 . . . Good to have you on board. I’m a bit older than you . . . 74 :sunglasses: and was officially diagnosed about 20 years ago! My son was diagnosed before he was 5. And as heredity is heredity . . . his 13 y.o. daughter (My Granddaughter . . . :+1:) too is a :brain:!

My son thought he was “stupid” . . . it took him quite a while! Even after he decided he could “do college” it still took him seven years and three colleges to discover what he really wanted to do in life. And my son who thought he was stupid, finally graduated and has been quite successful . . . and happy . . . as an Electrical Engineer. btw: He graduated with a GPA of 3.97! (Yes I surely am bragging . . . But I’m his Dad after all . . . ).

In terms of how you feel about yourself . . . takes time, takes risking, and at times, jumping in to “just do it!”:bangbang: We :brain::brain:s are prone to doing that . . . you know “poor impulse control” and all those good ADHD strengths (seriously) . . .

So we’ll be here for you. This a great forum. I go to it every day and glad I do! :sunglasses:

1 Like