Highly sensitive people over here?

We all know ADHD often comes along with friends. My ADHD’s friend is high sensitivity. And not just a little bit. Nooo I am REALLY highly sensitive.

Who else is highly sensitive? I’d say drop a comment so we can all relate to each other :grin::grin:

4 Likes

How do you define “highly sensitive”? Like very empathic?

1 Like

Being highly sensitive is in many different ways.

2 Likes

I thought for a long time that I am an HSP, but I’m not sure anymore… I don’t know if it’s because I had a lot of emotional dysregulations due to my then undiagnosed ADD and now I don’t know if I have a tiny amount of Autism…or if that also is all because of my ADD and sensitivity that comes with that… I do recognize some parts in that video posted here, but I don’t know if it’s enough to really ‘diagnose’ myself as HSP!

2 Likes

Absolutely.
In the general sense of ‘sensitive’ I don’t feel anything in half measures.
Pretty much every emotion I have is either full on or non-existent, there isn’t much middle ground there.
When I am sad I am devastated and when I smile the world smiles with me.

And the same goes for empathy, I can feel so deeply happy for other people’s joy and so very sad for other people’s misery.
And sometimes I want to but then there’s nothing.

1 Like

yes! and because of that sensitivity i have overreacted to things in the past and now almost automatically choose freeze in social or professional fight flight or freeze reactions. This i think is the beginning of a good habit, i just need to break out of it in a second or 2 rather than a minute or 3

also the empathy thing. I can feel people’s emotions just by walking by them on some days. Hard to decide whether it is a blessing or a curse! Choosing to view it as a blessing and use empathy powers for good!

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder if i have some asd traits or if it’s just my add or some learned behaviour but I definitely have atypical emotions. Im hoping meds will sort things out a bit. Examples of some strange behaviour; on the one hand I’ve been comforting my distraught crying wife about an issue that should affect me but thinking inside “ok this is boring now” which I feel really bad about. On the other had we a charitable collection at work for local homeless people, they suggested donations for their pet dogs, I started to imagine(empathising? ) how bad their life must be, and what if their dog got sick etc., and had to leave the open plan office as I was starting to cry and feel REALLY sad (i present as a typically unemotional man, i feel intense embarrassment showing my emotions) For the record I’ve never been homeless or owned a dog. Is this sort or emotional dysregulation something others have experienced? Is it just add or something else? Oh wow look how much I’ve written, I think this could be the meds kicking in (?)

1 Like

I think that’s ADD. It’s at least not something about being highly sensitive I think. But I’m not a doctor.

On that note, I’m increadibly irritated by my moms chewing at the moment. It’s annoying. I’m eating myself and it makes my appetite go away. I hate it.

And btw, don’t be ashamed of showing your emotions. Men feel emotions too. Just like women. So don’t be ashamed of it. It’s good to let them out. I personally have deep respect for anyone, especially men, who is not afraid to let their emotions out. Especially in public.

And mom please stop chewing so loud. I’m about to throw up bc of it :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Yeah i have the eating noise thing. Makes working in an open plan office impossible without earplugs, crisps or apples are the worst, my blood instantly boils

Same :nauseated_face:

I think some people call it Misophonia

1 Like

From what I’ve read elsewhere, it’s not uncommon for people to be both ADHD and a Highly Sensitive Person. I identify as one.

With the population made up of up to 10% people who are ADHD and up to 20% people who are HSP, there is bound to be overlap.

This article by a therapist who is both is very thought-provoking. It shows clearly what the overlapping traits are between the two.
https://www.littlemisslionheart.com/the-surprising-truth-about-the-hsp-adhd-misunderstanding/

1 Like

That’s interesting to see. Well I’ve always thought that when you have ADHD or autism you’d likely be highly sensitive. In both cases you’re more sensitive to specific things most people aren’t sensitive to.

2 Likes

Well, one thing is for sure…all three (ADHD, Autism/ASD, and HSP) are neurodiverse. I’m not surprised by any overlap between them.

I don’t think that I personally am on the Autism spectrum, but I can look back on any time in my life and see how I met the criteria for both ADHD-IP and HSP. For each of these, as soon as I read the criteria, I felt like it was describing me.

1 Like

Same. I learned that the only reason I’m not on the autism spectrum is because I’m too social.

2 Likes