How do you guys stim?

So I do a lot of strange things to stim so I was wondering what you guys do.

For example, I:

• randomly start dancing
  • wiggle hands
  • tap my fingers
  • LEG BOUNCE LEG BOUNCE LEG BOUNCE
  • swing on my chair
  • chair up on two legs but so that I’m pressed against the table
  • spin on a spinny chair
  • bouncing on toes
  • fidget toys
  • play games on phone (I really like cat cafe atm)
  • bite my lips (this is a bad habit and I really need to stop it coz it hurts but I don’t even realise until it hurts so)
  • bite the inside of my cheek (see above)
  • pick scabs (again, this one is real bad but it started at a young age and is now real hard to stop)
  • spin my ring round my finger
  • pull my ring off my finger and put it on the knuckle of another finger then bend that finger so it creates a feeling of pressure (I really like pressure stims??)
4 Likes
  • flap my hands, and arms
  • hum or say nonsensical words
  • stand on my tippy toes
  • rub my finger on edges of my clothes
  • twist bracelets round and round
  • trace patterns on my arms/legs
  • play with my hair

And probably a million others that I can’t think of right now! But this is awesome and I can’t wait to see what everyone else puts :grin:
( btw I also randomly dance! )

2 Likes

pen clicker
leg bouncer
pencil/pen tapper
fidget with a nonfidget ring that I wear
wiggle my toes

Also with being a leg bouncer sometimes I would bounce my leg so hard that i would keep on hitting the table with my knee and it would hurt but I kept on doing it. LOL

2 Likes

Same!! Once I bounced my legs so much that the car was moving along with it :joy:

3 Likes

Ooh yes! I don’t normally wear jewellery (like rings and necklaces) but i bought myself a spin ring and now i legit can’t function with it

2 Likes

Would fidgeting be considered the same as stimming? I do lots of these, but never really understood where the line would be drawn, if at all. For example, I bounce my legs and pick at my fingers and stuff pretty much all the time, but I also flap my hands or make vocal noises occasionally just to get some pent-up energy out when I feel it build up too much.

3 Likes

I pick at my fingers non stop
Also bite the inside of mouth/lips
Legs or feet always wiggling or moving
No idea why though it baffles me, i dont want to knowingly do it :tired_face::man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Swaying back and forth, fidget toys, making noises, moving feet or any body part. Lots of other stuff too like playing with fabric or fuzzy stuff.

2 Likes
  • Lots of people mentioning picking at thier fingers, I am so right there with you. My poor cuticles.
  • I bounce my legs
  • I count a lot. When I was little and would get to hyper my mother would tell me to count to try to get me to come down so now I find myself counting a lot. Especially when I’m stressed.
  • I play with my hair and clothes a lot.
  • Mess with my phone.
  • If I’m at home I will find myself unconsciously swaying or rocking.
  • I dont know if this one counts but sometimes I just repeat things I hear. Like if the cat meows or a timer dings, I will just automatically make that sound. Or if I hear someone say a fun word or say a word in a weird accent I’ll say it too. Which can have terrible timing if it’s not a person you’re with and they hear you repeat them. :laughing:
2 Likes
  • I smile really hard and and stare at my knee

• wiggle my toes

• bounce on balls of feet

• rhythmically twist wrists while bouncing on feet

• Can holding your breath be a stim?

I do these things while maladaptively daydreaming. I also hold my breath without really realizing when I’m really into something. Could that be a stim?

2 Likes

This was what I was wondering! Y’all kept mentioning picking and leg bouncing which I DEFINITELY do. But I wouldn’t consider that a stim for me. It’s more just fidgeting or compulsively picking. Thoughts?

2 Likes

I think it would?? I didn’t include any in mine (mostly coz I forgot like half of them when I was making the post lol but also coz I thought fidget toys/fidgeting was too obvious if that makes sense??). But yeah I would defo say fidgeting is one I just didnt include it

2 Likes

I think so becasue we as ADHD fidget as a way to self sooth our self. THe act of fidgeting how ever we do it counts as stimming but stimming comes from the autistic world of terms as behaviors that self sooth a person and helps ground a person back into a task. Where for ADHD we fidget in order to ground our attention in order to complete a task. I hope this helps out for those asking but then again I dont have autism I have ADHD but I think that this explantion might help but again what do I know.

1 Like

Oh I must admit I thought it was a shortened version of “stimulation” so I thought it could be used for both ADHD and autism. If that’s incorrect, I’ll fix the post.

3 Likes

oh yep that is true i think. I do not really know cause I am not an autistic person my self but other people on the form are so I would ask them they would know and understand it better than me.

2 Likes

I googled it and it says that ADHDers and autistic people both stim but it depends the type of stim and how often it happens on whether it’s ADHD or autism?? I think??

3 Likes

sounds about right to me :smile:

2 Likes

@Dxitydoo @Camper_Ellie and anyone else how’s confused: stimming is short for self-stimulating behavior, and everyone does it. However, it’s mostly associated with autistic people bc it’s done differently/more noticeably.

Groaning out of frustration, biting your nails, or tapping a pencil is stimming just like flapping your hands or humming is.

Think about it like an emotional regulation thing. I like to shake my arms out when I’m excited to release pent-up energy; I also press down ( gently ) on my head when I’m stressed. Both are a form of stimming! Hope that clears up the confusion :grin:

EDIT: this means that fidgeting is technically a form of stimming. ( personally, I don’t think of it like that, but it’s mostly a lingual thing. So do what you wish with the information )

2 Likes

ah got it thanks for clearing this up

1 Like

Ah. Yeah, idk. I don’t have autism so I don’t know the difference between that type of stim and like mine, but my stimming is not voluntary as apposed to like fidgeting and stuff for me which IS voluntary. But yeah anyway

2 Likes