How do you understand creativity

So I have been reading through a bunch of different posts for something to do and it dawned on me that I don’t think I understand creativity. Or at least maybe I have a different definition to some.

I don’t think of myself as a creative person. I’m not artistic. I don’t play any music. I am not what you would call visionary in the sense that I don’t go out and make or do something totally new that is interesting or exciting or whatever.

Where I am gifted is that if I have a point A and a destination i can come up with 9 and half ways to get to the destination in a very short time and can implement them and deal with any bumps along the way . So someone says I have this vision of XYZ. Once I understand what XYZ is no problems consider it done. But I am not the guy that comes up with XYZ. Unless it’s an answer to an existing problem.

So I suppose the way I look at it creativity and original vision are the same thing.

And all the rest is problem solving. Sure I am “creating”the solution but to a question that is already there not my own novel thought or idea.

What dose every one think about this?
Dose my version of creativity even exist or are these people just identifying existing problems in the bigger picture?(exclude artists from this question they are something special because I think with art there often is no question to be answered just someone delivering there own vision for whatever reasons they have for doing so )

M

I think so!

To me, creativity is being able to make links while seeing the bigger picture and then being able to express that understanding. And it’s interesting that we talk about many different ‘outlets’ because that implies it’s something coming from inside of you that you transform outwards into something someone else can understand.

Whether that is a conglomeration of lines that paints a picture that you show to someone, or a bunch of different options you’ve worked out to support a goal that you can then share with your friends.

Just some random thoughts on an interesting topic (sorry I didn’t manage to exclude artists entirely)

damn really? cause I’m not creative at all and suck at the whole big picture thing…
Usually when someone says XYZ, I immediately start working potential things to look out for if something were to go wrong. It often makes me look like I just wanna be negative but I can’t help it :confused:

does that count? :slight_smile:

I’ve always been so ridiculously creative relative to the neuro-normal people and to society in general, that I simply can’t think about the nature of creativity. For me, asking me about creativity is like asking a fish about water, I guess. I frankly don’t FEEL particularly more or less creative than any given standard, so I wouldn’t report myself as overtly more or less creative, but everybody who knows me reports otherwise, radically. I can’t identify how to be more or less creative, or how to instigate creativity when it’s lacking, or how to cut back on it when it’s excessive, or how to come up with a creative solution. I just do what I do, inside my head, and then am sometimes surprised that other people identify this thing that I did as, to them, remarkably creative. I just simply do it, it’s nothing special. In fact, I often forget that they can’t do it too, and I therefore tend to assume (if I forget) that they should be able to be just as creative as me, and that they aren’t paying attention or are just slacking off of their responsibilities, if they appear to me to fail at being creative. So I have to be careful to remind myself that my extra-special condition gives me a super-power, which most other people don’t have!

A while ago, before I was diagnosed or even thought ADHD might apply to me, I started an ebook based on some blog posts of mine about where ideas come form because a) I’d noticed that was a frequent question that had led people to my blog, and b) I got frustrated by all the people claiming you couldn’t do anything about it, you just had to wait until the ideas came. I’m convinced that you can always generate ideas. It’s what your brain is for.

My main point was: you can’t not think. There’s always something going through your head, usually several somethings, and every time they hit one another, there’s an idea. The process is mostly about picking these up and shaking them a little to see if there’s a story or song or whatever you want to create in there.

Only, of course, now I wonder if it’s maybe just us brains? Would neurotypical people even know what I’m talking about?

Hi Amak, my sort of creativity looks a lot like yours😀

Even worse, as a linguist, I can come up with several different ways to say something in my own or other languages, but the worst possible exam question for me is ‘make a sentence using this word’. Aaargh! After zipping through the rest of the test paper, one of those will have me staring at the ceiling or out of the window for 10 minutes, with a rising feeling of panic. Then I usually look through the rest of the paper for ‘inspiration’ (ie a really boring run of the mill thing that I can adapt).

I do make greeting cards and doodle, but there too I don’t see myself as particularly creative. I often go for a really obvious theme. I think all my Christmas cards have had trees or snowmen on them. Having said that, I was once the star of the PTA decorating session when they said that butterflies would be good so I made some. Again, the idea of putting butterflies in the display didn’t come from me, but a stack of sparkly card and a pair of scissors made it a no-brainer for me. I mean, they’re symmetrical, how could you not know how to cut one out of a folded piece of paper /card???

So yes, I think maybe some neuro typicals might have very (sad? Boring? Is it really awful of me to say that?) lives😕

I recall a long long time ago, when I first discerned that trying to pro-actively make ideas was perhaps a novelty to some people. When I was in graduate school, my girlfriend at the time, who was still an undergraduate, asked me to look over a paper she was writing for an Anthropology course. I read it, saw something or other, suggested the idea to her. To which she responded, “It would never occur to me to think of it that way.” And, much to my surprise, she then proceeded, for the rest of our discussion of that novel idea, to NOT think of it that way. Like, I had actually RAISED the new creative view and yet she STILL didn’t know what that view was, nor did she use it. It was really weird to me to watch the (what I felt was) resistance. It wasn’t, that she was hostile to my new notion; but, she just dumped it anyway. She heard the grammar which I had encased the idea within, in order to send her a communicative packet, she had parsed its grammar and vocabulary, she had understood relatively well the new idea; nevertheless, she then immediately abandoned it and returned to her standardized thinking. Because “it would never occur to her that way” and because even AFTER I had made sure it occurred to her that way, she still couldn’t figure out how to ALLOW it to occur to her that way. Observing this whole phenomenon was for me a somewhat annoying tour into the mind of a very cute sweet vivacious and rather too girlishly giggly undergrad. Our relationship didn’t last. But the episode opened my mind to the very idea, that some humans could excuse their mental laxity with the notion that things which “occur to” them, are things outside their own control. According to her crazy self-view, ideas just do, or don’t, “occur to” her, and it’s up to her to listen in and see which ones arise. But she has no method of determining HOW to cause ideas to do the “occurring to” thing, she just … waits until the ideas decide (on their own?) whether or not they (the ideas) will “let” themselves “be occurred to” her. Weirdness. I’m over here cranking out lateral-thinking methodology right left center, comparing apples oranges bananas and airplane motors, and she’s going, “But it still won’t occur to me to think of it that way.” And she’s right, to her, it won’t happen. She anticipates a passivity of participation in her own ideas. She’ll watch them happen, and they’ll happen, of their own accord, and then she’ll get a sense of which ones will or won’t occur to her. Still can’t quite get less agog about how weird that notion is, to me, in fact …

1 Like

I often found it very hard to convince others of my ideas in a collaborative setting. As far as I could read from the feedback*, they apparently just sounded too strange to work. Too out-of-the-box. So I took on the habit of doing it myself, to the point of recognizability. If it was a visual think we’d be working on, I’d start scribbling; if it was in a narrative setting, I’d wirte an outline etc. Once the others saw they worked, they were usually on board pretty quickly.

*) mostly non-verbal