How does ADHD (medication) define me?

information
adhdlife
medication

Hey there! I’m not completely sure how this all works because I only just became part of this community…

But anyway. I’ve been struggling with this for a few months now. I regularly take ADHD medication, every day I go to school and whenever I do something with friends on the weekend/during holidays - so basically whenever I am with people other than my family. And a fundamental question popped up in my brain: If the medication I take changes so much about my character and about who I am (which it does, as it works against many behavioral parts of ADHD), and if I take it so often that none of my friends have really experienced me while not on medication (which, again, is the case), which of the two me’s is the real me? I mean, is the “real me” the one that always talks non-stop, doesn’t think about what she does and is normally late to everything? Or is it the one that is structured and rather quiet and is never late to anything? Yes, I’m aware there’s not a “real you” because a person has many facets to them, but I’m hoping you get what I’m trying to say here.

Am I, at my very core, this unorganized person or am I actually this person that doesn’t have these symptoms, because the actual “me” is separate from how ADHD affects and “handicaps” me?

1 Like

I honestly don’t think there’s a way to differentiate or separate the two. They’re both equally you, merely with and without a chemical imbalance in your brain. They’re both you, but different aspects of you, and both have good and bad sides, so I am not sure that making (or trying to make) that distinction serves any purpose other than to have you overthink things.

The ADHD is who you are, the medicated is who you would be if you didn’t have the imbalance. But they’re both you, so try not to worry too much about it. :wink:

0 Likes

Another way to think about it would be someone who needs a cup of coffee in the morning to not be grumpy all the time. Which one is the ‘real’ them? Well, both are. And it doesn’t really matter, as long as they’re happy with who they are when they are who they are. So you should try to be happy with who you are when you’re medicated AND when you’re non-medicated. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a great way to think about it. :grinning:

0 Likes

Everyone’s got multiple versions of themselves. There’s a different us when when we’re sick, when we’re tired, when we’re angry, when we’re drunk, etc. Everyone has these and it’s normal! It doesn’t mean you’re not you when you’re unmedicated, all these things are just different parts that make up you as a person.

1 Like