How to manage ADHD-Paralysis while being in college

Hi there!

I’m looking for tips from other students that suddenly get overwhelmed because of the large amount of homework or topics that we need to study, resulting in an “ADHD-paralysis” (not being able to do or study anything because of an overwhelming sensation).

I’m starting a new semester in a couple of weeks and I’m a bit scared of not being able to study… because i really like to learn!

Let me know if you have any tips that me or other fellow brains could use :blush:

What did you do last semester? Repeat what worked and stay away from what did not!

What may work for you may not work for someone else . . . And vice-versa. We are all different. e.g. When I studied I needed absolute silence! My son needed rock music playing!
Neither of us could figure out why!

One thing to avoid is letting fear of “failure” . . . be an excuse not to study. And the opposite side of the coin . . . don’t let fear of “failure” cause you to study too much. i.e. Avoid extremes.

It took my son 7 yrs. and 3 different colleges to finally graduate. He dropped out due to 2 things:

1. He burnt himself out by studying too much . . . to the point of exhaustion . . .

2. He was not sure why he was in college . . . what were his goals . . . what course of study did he feel “passionate” about [my word . . . not his]. Once he found a major that he liked . . . that he was excited / passionate about he relaxed, enjoyed studying and taking one day at a time . . . graduated.

Just some thoughts!

Best of luck to you and stay connected here . . .

:sunglasses:

1 Like

What used to work better for me was to get to the homework right away, not taking a single break. If I took a break, had something to eat or drink, I would then get involved in something else and getting back to the homework was difficult. So if I needed to eat/drink, I would do so while doing my homework (with some music playing in the background).

2 Likes