I just learned a random dopamine fact!

So I was scrolling on Instagram. There’s always a crap ton amount of tiktok videos on there too. I stumbled upon this guy who has a million tiktok followers who talks about ADHD all the time, cause he has it.

In one of his videos he randomly drops the fact that dopamine deficiency doesn’t only affect our brains but our whole body. Dopamine deficiency can cause your muscles to be stiff and have you things like backpain. I just went like: O my god there’s the answer to my back issues! Hallelujah! :joy::joy:

So yeah, anyone relates? Cause to me it makes a lot of sense!

5 Likes

Hey Bubbles,

Thanks for sharing.
I have back muscles stiffness and ache issues for ages, much before my ADHD diagnosis.

Did this guy quote any research? I would like to know more…

3 Likes

Yep, back is often sore. I was a truck driver and a mover, thought that was a reason.

2 Likes

No he didn’t specifically quote any research. But I’m pretty sure we’d be able to find something on it. And let’s be honest, if almost everyone with ADHD can relate to this there must be at least some type of truth in it :joy:

2 Likes

Yes, I agree.

And, I used to think I was an oddball with weird sorts of problem which no one else could understand/relate to… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I knew I could find something. Here y’all go:

2 Likes

Who is it?

1 Like

https://academic.oup.com/view-large/figure/121016215/pny142f1.tif

Very interesting. There is a link between ADHD and Fibromyalgia in some people. (I have ADHD, and my grandma has fibromyalgia.)

Dopamine deficiency is suggested to be the cause of the muscular symptoms (pain, weakness, etc) in fibromyalgia.

2 Likes

I totally get a lot of shoulder and neck muscle pain. I’m on PT and need a regular masseuse as well. I’m holding all my stress in those muscles.

3 Likes

Same here. Back gets aching a lot and sometimes my neck too. I had always assumed until now that it was because I spent too much time reading. This is really a surprise.:open_mouth: (Concentrating on reading is hard, but it’s also needed to the work I like so I invested more time than others normally would)

2 Likes

@Bubbles17 Statistics often are misleading. I have muscle pain but how common is it in the non ADHD population. I also have degenerative disc disease and had back surgery. I have nerve pain that also causes muscle spasms. Dopamine often directly cause issues like depression. I would like to read the reasoning behind the statement.

2 Likes

For as far as I know, the website I posted here before tells that the effects you have from dopamine deficiency really also depends on where the deficiency comes from. Dopamine doesn’t only effect our motivation levels. A good example of that is the fact that, whenever we excersize, our brain releases a crap ton amount of it. This is not to get motivated to do it. This is what happens when we’re doing it. Sex is the same thing. When you’re in your climax a huge amount of dopamine comes free. Hence why it can be addicting to some people.

So, as much as dopamine motivates us to do things, it also comes free whenever physical things happen. So it would only be logical if dopamine deficiency also effects us physically. Seeing that when you have ADHD, you’re basically always low on dopamine, it’s only logical that it would eventually also effect our bodies. Lemme search on it a little further

2 Likes

I looked and found many articles about dopamine. Many are symptoms of depression, anxiety, and ADHD. Dopamine may just suppress the feeling of pain not cause it. The rest is copied from an article.

Some signs and symptoms of conditions related to a dopamine deficiency include:

• muscle cramps, spasms, or tremors
  • aches and pains
  • stiffness in the muscles
  • loss of balance
  • constipation
  • difficulty eating and swallowing
  • weight loss or weight gain
  • gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
  • frequent pneumonia
  • trouble sleeping or disturbed sleep
  • low energy
  • an inability to focus
  • moving or speaking more slowly than usual
  • feeling fatigued
  • feeling demotivated
  • feeling inexplicably sad or tearful
  • mood swings
  • feeling hopeless
  • having low self-esteem
  • feeling guilt-ridden
  • feeling anxious
  • suicidal thoughts or thoughts of self-harm
  • low sex drive
  • hallucinations
  • delusions
  • lack of insight or self-awareness
1 Like

Yes. And obviously adhd isn’t only in dopamine. ADHD in most cases just means you make enough neurotransmitters but don’t receive enough of them due to a malfunctioning in your brain of taking back the neurotransmitters too fast. Dopamine and seratonin are 2 of those examples. They also the biggest to be responsible to have a proper working executive function system, which we don’t have. So, we’re almost constantly low on dopamine, except for when we are on medication. So when you haven’t taken your medication, one of the good ways to notice that is the physical symptoms of dopamine deficiency, which is really interesting to me.

2 Likes

Since dopamine can’t cross the blood brain barrier I think you can separate the effects it has in the brain from those it has in the rest of the body.

2 Likes