I'm 39 and just diagnosed. WHAT.

depression
anxiety

Hi Brains! So. After a failed relationship and trouble with my social life and work, I finally broke down and sought some professional help. This was possibly the lowest of lows that I’ve ever felt. I went in to see this psychologist knowing that I’d be diagnosed with depression and anxiety, but no idea that I’d discover it would also be ADHD. Whoa. I had no idea what ADHD was, but after 4 weeks of just devouring any and all info I could get my brain on, I’m making connections to my past and it’s been quite a ride! This is why I am the way I am!

I’ve started taking Antomoxetine(40mg) and I’m subtly noticing a difference. I’ll be doubling the dosage next week to 80mg and I’m hopeful and anxious at the same time. I’m still seeing my wonderful Psychologist every 2 weeks. I’m in a much better place now because of her and because I can talk with fellow ADHD peeps about anything. How to ADHD has helped me SO MUCH!!! Thank you!!!

Peace and love!

Rob

6 Likes

I’m glad things are working out for you! Keep working on figuring out life. I was diagnosed a long time ago, but I think at 42 that I’m finally starting to find a job that I can do without failing too bad. You never know when things will work out for you. Keep trying to understand yourself and learn techniques to help you get stuff done.

2 Likes

I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago, and have been on dexmethylphenidate er (Focalin XR) for about 2 weeks now. I’ll be 38 next Wednesday, so I feel ya brother. It was a hard pill for me to swallow, in fact I thought my phycologist was a nut job and was about ready to fire him. But looking back on my whole life it made sense. The meds have made a world of difference. I’ve done more at work and home in the last 2 weeks than I’ve probably done in the last 6 months. I’m more motivated and driven and have a lot more energy. It’s pretty awesome, but I have a lot of relationship issues that have been going on for many years, so trying to explain all of that has been difficult. I do, however, feel like a huge weight has been lifted, and I finally understand why I am the way that I am. You are in very good company here. Welcome to the tribe!

4 Likes

Welcome to the Tribe, Rob!

I’m sure you’ll find lots of people to relate to here.:wink:
And good to hear you’re having a good journey, lots of people (including some of the new people and questioning people on the forum) haven’t had such a good time. Hopefully your experiences can help others seek out help and consider medication if appropriate.:blush::+1:

2 Likes

I was diagnosed at 43, almost 10 years ago, and am still struggling. I would say that the fact that the diagnosis came along at all, is the best thing that can happen for you. This website and the YouTube channel are TOTALLY EXCELLENT for informing yourself.

1 Like