In need of assistance.

I am not sure if this belongs here. (aka I know It does not but I don’t know where to go.) Either way, I am not a parent but I need some help because I don’t know how to tell my parents that I need to see if I have ADHD because we are not in the greatest situations financially with COVID-19. If anyone was in a similar situation, Please help!

2 Likes

Hi vh. I’d say you’re in exactly the right place. It’s support you want, and that’s where you are.

All you can do is break the news to them, see how they react, and take it from there.

There are plenty of free online tests which may give you an indication of your situation re: ADHD. They’ll give you a feel for whether you have it or not.

Unfortunately, they can be more accurate, and less judgemental than many psychs.

But a professional opinion is the only thing that will be able to diagnose you accurately, if you get the right person. And you’ll need a professional to sign off on a prescription, if that’s the path you take.

But there are plenty of free resources which can help, and at least you can start the ball rolling if it takes time to drum up the bucks to see a psych.

Obviously, the HowToADHD videos are a great place to start. But there are many other articles and tools which can help. Books from the library, or downloaded onto your phone (I use Amazon Kindle on my phone, and many books are pretty cheap, even free sometimes if you have Amazon Prime).

And time spent learning about yourself is rarely wasted.

I’ve been “financially challenged” off and on for most of my life, so I can relate. Coughing up half a weeks wages (when you haven’t got a job) to see a psychiatrist for less than an hour, which may or may not yield positive results can be a challenge.

So in the meantime, until the gold coins start raining from the sky, talk to your family. Then research and learn. Not necessarily in that order.

I don’t know your parents, but I’d hope that they would see your treatment as a priority, and even without professional help, family understanding and support can really help.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Smoj I have been trying to learn as much as I can to make sure until I could go and get an ADHD test. Thanks for the advice!!! :grinning:

2 Likes