Increase heart rate because of medicine

Hello everyone,

I recently started taking medication. The one the doctor gave me is called Medikinet adult 10mg.
To be honest I don’t really know which kind of medication this one is. My doctor wasn’t motivated enough to give me an explanation about it, or how it works.

The thing is, that after try it for a week or so, I realized my heartbeat races every time I take it. So just wanted to ask if anyone has experimented it, or if its normal.
This is the first time I’m having any medication and I don’t know how should I feel.

Thanks
Maria

1 Like

Hi Maria,
I get a yearly checkup on how my blood pressure is doing. I haven’t heard (or experienced) anything like that.

As a rule: if it worries you, consult your doctor!

Have you checked the list of possible side effects? If it’s on there it will come with an explanation on what to do.

If it’s NOT on there, you should definitely consult your doctor about it!

So please take it up with your doctor, because he or she should be able to clarify if it’s something to look into!

Take care!

(and make them care! that’s what their job is!!)

2 Likes

Elevated heart rate is fairly common with stimulant medications, but rarely something to be concerned about. Most of the studies seem to indicate that there is minimal increased cardiac risk with stimulants. If you’re concerned, though, make sure you’re also following with a general medical provider to track things in case they do become concerning. In some cases, side effects such as elevated heart rate can go away. In other cases, it can be helpful to try an alternate medication.

You sometimes have to weigh the risks and benefits of the medication. Do the benefits for ADHD of the medication outweight the side effects?

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t feel any positive effect. Maybe that I feel more energetic, but my concentration it’s not improving.
One of the reasons I wanted to ask here about it, it’s because I’m scared that my doctor would only increase the dosis and nothing else regarding the heart.
Nevertheless I’ll discuss it with him (I am not quite happy with him tho)

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

@Maria_Ur
I am feeling something similar. I just started Vyvanse about 4 weeks ago. My husband has a simple blood pressure tester and arm cuff at home so I have been watching mine off and on too. I noticed the racing heart rate for the first hour or two after taking the meds but then it calms down. Sometimes I feel a mild… I’m not sure exactly what or how to describe it… but I guess a ‘squeezing’ sensation in my heart. My doctor had sent me for an echocardiogram before I started meds so she could set a baseline and make sure my heart was already functioning well before starting the meds. I go for a follow up today with her.
I noticed that the first 2 weeks on meds, my energy was higher and I was better able to concentrate and focus but now it seems diminished to the point where I don’t notice any difference except the higher energy levels. I was going to talk to her about a higher dosage or maybe a different med. I can come back and relay what I learn today on this thread if that helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I am having the same effects. During the first 2 hours my heart is till 80bpm, when I normally have it at 60bpm, and I also feel super motivated, but then the motivation leaves at the same time the heart rate decreases. For me it is even a bit uncomfortable
About my doctor, he didn’t even wanted to check my blood or my heart ( I asked him if he would do some check, but he said that he doesn’t do that… that’s why I don’t like him that much)
I am even considering looking for a new doctor, but here in Germany means at least 3 moths waiting before the appointment

Yes I would love to know how your meeting was

Thanks a lot!!

1 Like

Seems like palpitations is a very common effect and irregular or fast heart rate is also common. Your doctor should have taken some baseline readings to see the effect of the drug as well as taken your history. More details, lots more details here:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/8237/smpc#gref

3/4 of the way down on the page there is a table of various effects and frequencies. The key thing is to be aware (but not assume the worst! Let your dr do any diagnosis). You should definitely speak up and tell your doctors about the symptoms you are concerned with. Also, make him aware if there is any medical history that may be relevant (as per the page above). At least here in the US I can ask such questions via email to my doctor. That way I make sure that I am asking all the questions I need to and express them clearly.

The following article says that there is no evidence that “mild increase” in heart rate or BP in a healthy person due to taking Ritalin or Medikinet causes medical problems. Though they do not quantify “mild increase”! But they do say that (for older adults) “you and your doctor should regularly monitor your heart rate and blood pressure once treatment has begun. Make sure you share this information with all of your health care providers.”

2 Likes

@Maria_Ur
Hi Maria !
I just got back from the doctor’s appt and a quick visit to the hospital for another EKG.
I explained my symptoms to my doctor and talked about how the meds seems to wear off after 5-6hrs. She wondered if maybe taking a 2nd dose half way through the day might work but it would definitely impact my sleep.( I already had sleep issues prior to my diagnosis) We decided to try another med instead (not sure which yet) that would have longer lasting affects and hopefully won’t mess with my sleep. She sent me for another EKG to make sure my heart was still functioning well and I was eager to go as I had that slight ‘squeezing’ sensation going on. They did the test and my heart was perfectly fine :smiley: (That eased my mind a lot). I have another appt with my dr on thursday to decide on a new med to try. I’ll keep you updated if you like…
Take care and happy braining!

1 Like

Thanks a lot!
It looks like a reasonable process!! Now I know what should I get from the doctor.

Hope you can find the medicine that works well for you soon!
I am honestly considering changing my doctor, but till then I will discuss it with the actual one.

1 Like

@Maria_Ur
Just an update to let you know that my doctor and I discussed options about meds. Most of the other meds that she felt would be a good fit with my ADHD(ADD) were 24hr doses. ie: Concerta
I expressed my concerns about 24hr dosage impacting my sleep and she agreed that there was a good chance it would.
In the end we decided to stick with the Vyvanse and up the dose from 30mg to 40mg with the ability to up the dose a bit more if needed.
I am comfortable with that and have another follow up appt with her in 2 weeks to see how I’m progressing.
I like that there are many options to try in this journey that is ADHD and I know that if the Vyvanse doesn’t work well enough for me that I will most likely give another med a chance because I can always just wean off the meds whenever I chose. The benefits that I am seeing in myself with meds and therapy is already making me so much happier than I was!
Take care and Happy Braining fellow brains :smiley:

3 Likes

@Maria_Ur
New update:
Upping the dosage on the Vyvanse didn’t work so I have decided to give Concerta a try.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update!
Is there any big difference in terms of effects btw Vyvanse and Concerta? (Sorry I tried to find some information but not too detailed)
Hopefully, this will work better for you.

From my side, I realized that my heartbeat increases with medicine because it increases my anxiety. So in those days, my anxiety levels are low, my heart stays calm, but if I’m already anxious, it boosts the anxiety x100.
I will meet again my doctor in a week and a half, with a huge list of details + another letter of my psychologist, hoping he at least try to run me some tests or change medication.

I tried to get a different doctor, but here in Germany, you can’t get a second doctor (psychiatrist) if you already have one.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Today I went to see my doctor again. Fortunately he was more receptive and read the letter my therapist wrote with some medicaments recommendations and gave me atomoxetin.
We talk about the heart-ratio increase, but didn’t suggested any test. In addition he said that the atomoxetin could also increase my heart, so I should check it for 3-4 days and if this continue appending I should call him again.
I honestly don’t know what to think… why would he give me a medicine that could increase my heart when I was already complaining about it?
Still I will give it a try, but I wonder if this is the right method to find a medicament

2 Likes

@Maria_Ur since atomoxetine is a non-stimulant medication, it probably is less likely to cause rapid heartbeat.

I researched it and asked my doctor to try me on it, and I didn’t remember rapid heartbeat being listed as a side-effect, so I looked it up again. The medication guide that I read did list “fast or pounding heart” as a serious side effect.
Here is where I read that: https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a603013.html

From what I’ve learned about ADHD, many people have to try different medications and dosages before finding the one that works best for them. If your doctor says for you to check your heart rate for 3-4 days on atomoxetine, then it sounds to me like the doctor is familiar with this medication, or at least has read up on it.

(My doctor seemed very familiar with ADHD medications, and so he insisted that I start on a stimulant medication first: a low dose of Adderall XR. I’m fortunate that I only experienced rapid heartbeat the first day, and it does help sharpen my focus, just not as much as I was hoping it would. I’ve been keeping a daily medication log on my phone, to record when I take my medication, and the effects that I feel from it.)

I hope that the atomoxetine works well for you, and that it doesn’t give you any concerning side effects.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, I had no idea what was the process or how long does it take to find the right medicine.
My therapist gave me some short ideas, but I that when you’re just diagnosed, It would be nice to get some information or explain to you how things will continue.
After what you wrote I feel more relax :slight_smile:

Very helpful your link too!

1 Like

@Maria_Ur
I found that the lowest dose of Vyvanse(30mg) was actually more effective for me that the lowest dose(18mg) of Concerta. I felt no effects (good or bad) from Concerta. I actually tried 2 Concerta tablets just to see if there was a difference and I did finally feel some good effects but I don’t know if I should keep doing that without my doctors knowledge. I’m making a follow up appointment to see her next week.
“atomoxetin” here in Canada is better known as Straterra and I think it was one of the ones that my daughter tried. I kick myself for not making notes of the ones she tried. Unfortunately that was nearly 10 years ago and… well… adhd and memory recall means I can’t remember lol.
I didn’t seem to have the rapid heartbeat from Concerta as I did from Vyvanse.
I’m not sure if she’ll try a different med or just up the dosage of Concerta. I don’t feel like the Concerta is the best fit but we’ll see what she thinks.
I’ll keep you updated and would like to hear more about both yours and @j_d_aengus experiences :smiley:

2 Likes

Finally, you found your perfect dose and medication!! so happy for you
I am at the moment on my third day of “Straterra” 10mg and I have no rapid heartbeat, I will have a quick call with my doctor in a couple of days, and then I think I will continue increasing the mg slowly.
I also read that Straterra does not give direct effects, it is more like long time effects.
But honestly, missing the energy boost from Medikinet

1 Like

@Maria_Ur
Actually the Straterra didn’t work for me. It gave me headaches and did nothing for the mild depression. One of the side effects was that my scalp would tingle and the skin on my arms and legs would periodically get goosebumps for no reason.
I decided to go back to Vyvanse a few days ago and will up the dosage over an extended period of time.
I am grateful that we at least have medications that we can try!
Take Care and Happy Holidays!

1 Like

Strattera didn’t work for me as well, I also got a mild depression and go through my day was really hard for me.
At the moment I am trying intuniv (I am at 2mg this week, next will I will increase to 3mg). To be honest I don’t know if this medicament is working on me or not. I sometimes feel some small pain on my chest, but still not sure if this is from the medicine. But regarding benefits I also don’t feel anything so far… starting to miss the good benefits of medikinet (but not the bad one of course)

Yes really grateful we have medications to try, but I feel a bit worried to go back again to my doctor regeting the third medication :sweat_smile:
I will continue increasing the dosis as the doctor said and spect to get some good effect some day until my next appointment

1 Like