Insecure about intelligence

I have some mixed feelings around my intelligence and I wanted to talk about it to see if others can relate and if I can find a better perspective on it.

Growing up I was told a lot how smart I was. That was the trait other people most noticed about me. Getting compliments about it is nice in some ways, but I also noticed that classmates would sometimes feel badly about themselves in comparison and then I would feel bad that they felt bad. Some people really wanted to compete with me around marks, and in a lot of contexts competition makes me feel really uncomfortable. To avoid all of that I would try to minimize the visibility of my intelligence. I’m not sure how much I succeeded, but I certainly tried.

When I got to university I started doing much worse in school. I could still understand the material, but it became really difficult to make myself go to class or complete assignments. At a certain point I started failing classes, and this was pretty emotionally difficult since I was supposed to be so smart. I limped through my bachelor’s degree and eventually completed it, but I didn’t feel like I got the learning and value out of it that I wanted. I ended up with a feeling that I might be smart, but that doesn’t really matter because I often can’t make use of it.

Now I’m not sure what to say about the topic to myself, or to other people. Any thoughts?

1 Like

I can certainly relate, my experiences are very similar to what you describe. I sometimes used to deliberately get things wrong on class tests so that I wouldn’t stand out with my high grades. Now, I feel like a lot of the people who I used to feel bad about getting better grades than, are now way more articulate and competent and insightful than I am.

I often think about something @hyperglyph said in another thread on a similar topic, about “playing Pip to academia’s Miss Havisham”. The lesson here is that intelligence, of the kind that is measured by grades in school, is irrelevant to your worth as a person and does not necessarily help you to grow or achieve things that matter to you.

So I guess the answer is to try to stop ruminating on whether you’re really as intelligent as you were told you were growing up, and focus on the strengths that you do have now… if you know what some of those are.

I’m extremely bad at identifying strengths in myself but one thing that has helped me start to make progress towards believing that I might not be 100% useless is keeping a daily log of things I’ve done that demonstrate positive qualities I’d like to be able to see in myself (actually I stopped doing that but this long-winded reply has reminded me how helpful it was so I’m resolving to start again now… thanks for inadvertantly nudging me!! :smile:)

1 Like