Intrusive sleep and ADHD

Hi, this is my first post so apologies for bad formatting/wrong catagory etc, im still learning the ropes.

For the longest time i thought i just had a sleep disorder, narcolepsy or idiopathic hypersomnia, but after roughly 4 years of investigation telling me that my sleep is fine, i turned to research and earlier this year found out that my exact issue is a lesser known symptom of adhd, and am now trying to get a diagnosis myself as suddenly it ALL JUST MAKES SENSE!

The issue i have had is since i was about 12 i would just sleep all the time no matter how much stuff i wanted or had to do. i would sleep in school, resteraunts, shopping centres, on benches and even once on a sea wall. Daily naps of 1-3 hours. I could never figure out why I would get so overwhelmingly sleepy to the point that i would nearly pass out until i discovered that some of my other “personality quirks” matched up with the symptoms of ADHD and i might actually be falling asleep due to lack of stimulation.

However there is barely anyone talking about this, even though it is supposedly not too rare. I was wondering if anyone on here has any similar experiences or advice? For me, (baring in mind i do not have an official diagnosis and im not diagnosing myself im just currently acting like i do have adhd and using some of Jessicas tools (omg lifechanging!!!) to try and cope with my inattention and hyperactivity). this is my biggest symptom as it hid so much else for years.

I hope Jessica one day makes a video about this.
Can anybody relate?

thanks for reading
Ami

4 Likes

Interesting!

Though I do not have that issue . . . I do want to convey a hearty WELCOME to our forum! :+1:

1 Like

Mhmm I can say to a lesser extent I have dealt with this. When I was younger in like middle school it was hard for me to stay awake during long talks and stuff but mostly I’ve dealt more with insomnia. I remember not sleeping in pre-k and then after, I always hated nap time cause I would lie there blankly and it would take forever. I also have always had a hard time going to sleep.
I think maybe adding in some exercise might help to make you have more energy but talk about with a doctor and read this forum you might find some good info :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To a lessor extent, yes.
I often reach my threshold for my capacity to concentrate and exert energy and would often actively periodically nap, anything from 5 minutes up to 2 hours.
When I was younger, it might be at my desk in glass or coach at home, then in my early 20s, would sometimes be at parties or during gatherings at my own else, on the floor, around the place etc.

It could also be 7 or 8 am in the morning, or more frequently just after lunch, proceeding a busy morning. Other times after I finished gym, which I used to go after I finished work, so I’d nap for about 20 min either before or after a mad feed around 5, 6 or 7pm.

In summary, I could relate my energy to that of a battery and napping would be like ‘putting me on charge’, to be able to get up and do what needed doing.

It would also force many tasks that were on my list to get done, to suddenly become urgent, as I now had a lot less time to do them, creating a ‘mini crisis’ to divert my attention to, making it easier to be productive.

That all said, this was all post family (ages 0-24) and since having family, I’ve struggled greatly not being able to do this often. It has led to many unproductive hours and constant states of being overwhelmed from time to time.

I do occasionally get the opportunity to ‘catch a nap’, and it does still help a lot, for the same reasons. Just no where near as often as i used to. (Would nearly be daily, if not a couple times on the same day)

Also, Welcome :raising_hand_man::raising_hand_man:

1 Like

(Diagnosed in 2nd grade)
I don’t think I had major issues with sleep growing up (except being an extremely heavy sleeper & my mom had to use this massive bell to wake me up) but since I hit my 30s, my husband complains I’m “sleepy” all the time. ALL the time. As a young adult, I figured out 7 hours and 45 minutes of sleep was my ideal. Now, I find I need more than 8 to function “normally” - although, that could also have to do with the fact that I rarely get 5+ days in a row of 8 hours of sleep.
But I do find, if my (ASD) husband is droning on about his current obsession, I definitely start getting sleepy – lack of stimulation.
I wish I could say though, that I would suddenly get energy from a 5 to 30-minute nap and can get on my eternal to-do list and get lots done… but once I start to fall asleep, I can often be there anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 or 3 hours depending, and just say “screw the to-do list!!”
Disjointed, random thoughts… welcome to ADHD! haha

1 Like

Funny thing is I just woke up from taking a nap during my 30 minute drive home from work ( I did pull over lol) then I read this post, I’ve always fallen asleep in unusual places or unexpected times, but I never new this was a symptom of adhd, thanks :grin:

2 Likes