Sorry I haven’t been active in a while, I tend to get heavily obsessed with things for like a week and then have no interest in them at all for a while, I’m sure some of you can relate😅…
I’ve been doing a lot of research into ADHD, anxiety, and depression (annoyingly I haven’t been able to find much on anxiety or depression, but from what I have gathered the symptoms can be both similar and or linked with ADHD) and have been working on understanding my symptoms and think I am almost ready to ask my GP for an appointment.
My problem is that from the get go I have been constantly telling myself not to bother with the appointment for multiple reasons:
- What if I am making the symptoms up in my head
- What if I am just lazy or stupid
- What if I don’t get diagnosed
- What if it costs a lot of money
- What if it takes a lot of long and mentally taxing work to get the diagnosis
- What if I get diagnosed but nothing changes
And the list goes on…
As part of my preparing I have made a list of what I would like to get out of this:
- To get a diagnosis (or not get diagnosed if that is the case)
- To gain better understanding of my symptoms and how to deal with them, and gain more access to useful resources
- To get medication/therapy if that is required
- To get a therapy referall even if I am not diagnosed (I live in a very small town so just up and finding a therapist myself is not very easy)
I just want to know, based on what I have said above and your own experiences, has getting the diagnosis been worth it and was it useful to you and did you get what you wanted from it?