It's Official!

After 47 years I finally have the answer to all my struggles. I’m exhausted. Severe adrenal burnout. Body & mind more & more sensitive to everything (people, food, everything) as the years go by. But I finally understand it all. I understand why now. I’m learning how my ADHD brain works & it’s so clear to me now why every single little thing in my life happened the way it did. Now to try to learn how to move forward. I’m unfortunately not a good candidate for meds because I have PTSD/anxiety, and react poorly to most meds, can’t even do sugar / caffein at all anymore, etc. But I’m excited about getting coaching. I’m excited about learning to recognize my strengths & play to those. I’m excited to be in the company of super successful ADHDers like Richard Branson. And I’m excited to meet all of you. For the first time in my life I feel like I fit in. LIke other people actually get the way I think. I’ve felt so outside of everything for so long. I don’t know what the future holds, but I feel more optimistic now that I finally have my answers I’ve been searching for. I can finally move forward onto the next adventure.

Hi Stacey . I am not diagnosed and I just found the how to ADHD videos today but I can totally relate to feeling like everything making sense now . I’m 29 years old and It’s the first time I hear someone with ADHD (in the videos ) describe what they are feeling and I can relate! I felt alone, confused, upset and embarrassed but It sounds like … I don’t have to anymore . so glad you joined the community !

Hey Daniel. Nice to meet you! It’s so wild to finally hear you’re not alone, right? I just came across ADHD info and made the connection about 10 days ago and have been obsessed with articles & Youtube vids about it ever since. It’s so surreal, isn’t it? Like feeling like you’ve been dropped on the wrong planet all these years, & finally found your way home. I decided to look into getting diagnosed after reading someone here say they had an ADHD coach that helps them with certain skills & that it was covered on their insurance. Getting the diagnosis gave me a huge sense of validation for my experiences that I’d never received/felt before. And there are so many rebels playing to their ADHD super powers & rocking at life that are inspiring me big time! No more doing things the “expected” way LOL. Glad you joined as well!

WOW! that’s amazing! I was tearing up as I read your reply because it’s so true. I have epilepsy which is a “weird” thing to have , but nothing about that ever explained my difficulty at school, difficulty at making decisions, my lack of focus or over excitement . I ran into a video around lunch time after searching “why do I apologize so much” and 6 hours later here I am ! Im so excited for the new freedom you found . and you’re right . this feels like a superpower now! haha

Superpowers! Haha! Yep! I’m sure determined to do my best to go that route with it for sure. Everyone has strengths & weaknesses, so playing to your strengths is always the way to go in my opinion! Epilepsy too, eh? Bodies are full of fun surprises, aren’t they? I don’t have epilepsy but I get psychogenic seizures sometimes. Been happening the last few years. My body just eventually had all it could take from too much stress & started shutting down when I get overly stressed out. It’s frustrating for sure. No one understands them, hell it’s hard for me to even understand them, & some people think they’re fake. Like any of us would choose it. I meditate, exercise, & eat super healthy daily. It helps with ADHD symptoms big time. ( I knew it helped me, just didn’t know why I HAD to do it daily.) But yeah, exercise wakes up the brain for about 90 minutes. So now instead of big workouts, I’m going to do a bunch of mini ones spread out & see how that goes. That’s wild you came to ADHD info from a video about apologizing. But yeah, I guess it makes sense. We do get stuck apologizing a lot. I came across this video today & was blown away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nls3wxRZEoE&t=6s I was like,…seriously? Little kids can do that? And I still can’t? Wow, other people’s lives must be so much easier. No wonder I’ve been struggling so hard. But hey,…I also saw a video with Richard Branson about how he still can’t fully get down the difference between gross & net profit. He just asks if that means they’re doing good. Haha! He’s started over 400 companies & is worth 5 billion dollars. So if he can do that, then there’s nothing holding any of us back from whatever we want to do!

You just made an ADHDer word wall. Sorry I’m way more down the rabbit hole than you are.

ADHD is a very complex thing and the people with it are just as complex…

Welcome! Your story is super similar to mine, in that when I first thought “maybe I have ADHD” and started doing research, it explained literally everything about how I function (or don’t) in my every day life, and how those everyday choices impacted my life in the long run. I’m 31 now but I wasn’t diagnosed until I was 28, and it constantly boggles my mind at how 5 different therapists until that point missed what was clearly a “textbook case” of ADHD. Just goes to show that if you don’t think something is a problem, your therapists won’t, either! I hope you can find the help and community you need here to help you get back on the right track to being your best you!

Huh? Not sure what you mean…
Oh, that I write a lot? That was me attempting to be brief. It’s a huge challenge to not write a novel every time. LOL

Thanks!

Right? Same here! But yeah, most of my focus was on the emotional challenges, so they got me focused solely on hormones, PMDD, etc. for a very long time.

A lot of us have that challenge. We call it word walling here, meaning there’s a solid block of text from us trying to get down ALL THE IDEAS. The irony is that a lot of ADHDers also don’t have the patience or attention to actually READ an entire word wall. LOL

Haha gotcha. Oh yeah, I understand. And I have no problem with people choosing to skip my novels. I still get it out of my head LOL.

I start a new paragraph whenever there is a logical break so that readers don’t have a very long paragraph to get lost in! Perhaps that is what @Pizzatom52 is talking about? I don’t think he was saying anything about the length of writing. At least that is how I read what he wrote!

If I try to write down every thought that occurs to me at a given moment, it will indeed be a solid word wall, jumping all over the place! But sometime I just do that in a sort of a stream of consciousness way, so as to not lose the train of my thought, and then in a separate pass I pare it down, split into paragraphs, edit it and then read it again to see it makes some sense!

It is an interesting phenomenon though, yes?
That we often feel the need to “get it all out,” at any opportunity we are given.

What is that?

That’s because we have a lot to say:-) And we are detail oriented, not good at prioritizing because you never know just what may turn out to be important, and we are excited about a lot of things and want to share that excitement!

#Truth :sunny:

Don’t worry about it because a) that was brief, by comparison, and b) we all do that. Welcome to the tribe of long paragraph makers…

I too tend to jump around. When I’m writing I usually try to throw it all at the page and then I’ll go back and edit, putting breaks in where necessary, and TRYING to pare it down.

This whole convo just makes me wonder about James Joyce though. I mean seriously…train of thought writing seems like something a Brain would do. :thinking::laughing:

So @Stacey,
Do you feel welcome yet? :slight_smile:
Look at all the conversation you’ve sparked already. :smiley:

May be I should try reading Joyce for real this time! Have you read “On the Road” by Jack Kerouac? Here’s a sample:

But then they danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I’ve been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes «Awww!» What did they call such young people in Goethe’s Germany?

Way back when I wrote real letters, there was no such opportunity for editing. People I wrote letters to used to say reading my letters was just like talking to me! May be they meant they were just as confused reading my letter as my talking to them :slight_smile:

Wow. I haven’t read it, but that passage is awesome. I’ll have to check it out.