I've finally been diagnosed!

I first started thinking that I might have ADHD four years ago now after a random video about ADHD in girls popped up in my YouTube recommended section. While watching it, I found myself relating to a lot of the stuff mentioned in there but I figured everyone related to a lot of them so I mostly ignored that feeling, other than to joke about it.

But the video had piqued my interest. So I went to the internet and I started looking. I fell down a rabbit hole of information about ADHD and the further down I went the more and more I noticed similarities between myself and people with ADHD.

However, when I tried to bring my thoughts to my parents and expressed my wish to pursue an assessment, I was shut down and told “you don’t have ADHD” and “you’re perfect just the way you are”. So I stopped talking about it. But I kept thinking about it.

Two years ago, my girlfriend worked up the courage to go and talk to the school’s student support service to ask about getting an assessment for dyslexia. I helped her talk to the people she needed to and supported her while she tried to get the ball rolling. After that, I decided I would tell someone about my own thoughts: that I might have ADHD. I talked to the student support and they were able to help me get on a waiting list for an assessment.

Fast forward to today and I finally had my assessment. After four years of thinking and wondering, and two of waiting, I can finally officially say: I have ADHD!

And that’s so exciting.

I don’t fully know what to expect next. They want to put me on medication which I’m both excited and nervous for as I can’t take tablets. So I’ll have to learn. But that’s a problem for later.

But for now, I’m just really happy to finally have an answer so I can stop wondering.

3 Likes

Yaaay!!

For the meds I don’t think you have to worry much. they’re very small tabs so they’re easy to swallow. Maybe you’d be able to use something like lemonade instead of plain water to avoid the nasty taste. Away from that, it’s easy. I also have my problems swallowing pills. So, if I can do it, you can do it :smile:

Glad you finally got your answer, I remember how you were struggling to get people to take you seriously, but i knew you would get there in the end :+1:t3:

1 Like

Well I guess my reply in the other thread is a little late.

I am glad you have an answer. With that you can start planning your next steps. You’ve already probably known all this time, but being on meds seem to help a lot of people. I haven’t had muck luck, yet.

The generics for Adderall and Ritalin are very small, those should be manageable. Of course you need to work with your Dr to find out what works best for you. It can be a lot of trial and error, experimenting with different meds at different doses, so it can take time.

yeah. I know in theory I should be able to do it just fine but I usually end up chewing hay fever tablets when I need to take them because its more of a mind over matter kinda thing. I think I’m gonna try and get myself to take it like a dog, like with cheese or something. Hopefully I’ll be able to learn lol

1 Like

Just be careful about some meds if they are in an extended release formula. Those pills usually need ed to swallow whole so the medication is dissolved over time properly.