Looking for Adults who where diagnosed later in life or are in the process of getting help

Ok, I am trying to get help with this. I am 35 years old, and I suspect that I have had ADHD my whole life. I was never diagnosed as a child but all the struggles I remember even into adulthood point to ADHD. I have been trying to seek treatment for years. Trying to find a doctor who is willing to take me seriously has been an absolute joke. I do not have health insurance right now and insurance I have had in the passed only covered bottom of the barrel type “professionals”.

I just don’t know what to do anymore. I need to be tested but I can’t even get that far. At least if I was tested and found out I didn’t have that would be ok but I can’t even get to that point.

Has anyone out there had a similar problem in getting a diagnosis? Any advise or just to share your experience would be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes
REALLY struggling to get diagnosed. Almost giving up.

I was diagnosed at 25 after waiting 18 months but I’m in the UK and got my diagnosis through the NHS, and have no idea how American healthcare works so not sure my experience is really relevant to you lol.

All I can say is good luck and don’t stop trying!

1 Like

If you go to the Psychology Today website, you can search for licensed professionals in your area who can give you a test for diagnosing various possible reasons for the difficulties you are experiencing. Some take insurance, some do not. There is a gentleman in my are that charges $150 for a diagnostic session and battery of tests.

I was not diagnosed by him, but by my Psychologist who was treating me for anxiety and depression. I would not rely on a general practitioner to hand out a diagnosis of ADHD because they do not specialize in it. My understanding is that GPs will look for the most simple explanation which is generally not mental disabilities, but a lack of sleep or some other reasoning more in line with their own experiences.

So that would be my suggestion. Search for someone in your area on the Psychology Today website that specializes in diagnostic tests. They should be able to get the ball rolling for you. From there, it’s just the battle of coming to terms with the unfortunate reality that you are at an unfair disadvantage when it comes to a society built around neuro-typical individuals.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the advise! I’m going to look it up right now! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi, I just wanted to give a quick update. I did look up Psychology Today and I did find a place that is local. So Big Thanks to Wabbajack for the advise! I called today and I got my appointment scheduled for April. For the 1st time I was able to speak with someone who actually took me seriously! I have to admit I cried when I got off the phone. The girl I spoke with was very helpful and super nice, I didn’t get attitude or run around. And they have self pay options! I can finally get an answer to a question I have been asking for over 10 years.

7 Likes

@eas_524
Just happy to do my part. Keep us posted on what you learn! (If you want to, of course.)

1 Like

Woo-hoo! Go you! I never would have done it (my wife made my appointment lol). I was too scared of losing my identity but have found so much help and understanding since my diagnosis. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Great news, congrats! Let us know how it goes, or if we can help with anything else!:blush:

2 Likes

Im 27 and Im trying to get tested too. I’m glad that you got things going! Please let us know how did it go.
@Wabbajack thanks for advise

2 Likes

You should also look into counseling too. When I was diagnosed at 35, I just basically saw the physiatrist for meds. It helped, but after 5 years I discovered that I needed more help. Having someone to talk to for more than 15 min helped me to develop a closer relationship with a professional who could give more personalized guidance. Hope this helps and best of luck to you.

2 Likes

I wasn’t diagnosed until 42 and when I was, it was a light bulb moment. In doing a lot of reading (the books I could finish lol) and online stuff, so much of my past actions/inactions became obvious it was my adhd brain. You are in good company

2 Likes

I was just diagnosed on Thursday. I turned 36 on Monday. I have had the same experience as you where none of the doctors would take me seriously. One even went so far as to say I was just looking for drugs. Finally a few months ago I saw a Nurse Pracitioner for an issue with my antidepressant. I was on Prozac and it made my ADHD symptoms so much worse. I told her that I have been trying to get evaluated since I was a teenager because I really felt like I had some form of ADD but no one would listen to me. That day she set me up with a referral to the behavioral health clinic, I had an appointment this week, and boom…diagnosed and now going back on the 4th to begin treatment.

It’s really sad that doctors will not listen to their patients. It is so important to be your own advocate when it comes to your health. You know your body better than anyone!

3 Likes

I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago. I’m 37. Been on meds (Focalin XR) for a little over a week. I’m still learning, but my focus is better and I feel like I can function somewhat normally. I always thought I was just really bad at everything. My marriage has suffered for years because of many bad decisions on my part, and isn’t looking like it will survive this. But I’m starting to gain some understanding and realizing that my mistakes we’re a horrible side effect of ADHD. It’s hard to get anyone else to understand though. Hurting the people you love the most sucks, especially when you don’t mean to. Anyway, I tend to ramble a lot. I hope you find the help you need.

4 Likes

I got diagnosed at 37 by one psychologist, he had me on a bunch of different meds and some worked others didn’t but I got fed up and found a new psychologist a few months ago. The new psychologist doesn’t think I have adhd but just really bad anxiety. That was hard to take cause I just started to accept this and now I don’t !? Hopefully as time goes on I will get straightened out and it will be fine

4 Likes

So, a while back I wrote about my struggle of getting an evaluation. Its been 2 months and my Appointment is in a few days. I’m not sure what to expect. I’m a little nervous.

3 Likes

Whoo! Good luck!

I was diagnosed at 43 years old. My story is, essentially, I had no idea what was going on but knew something wasn’t right, and was ambling through life not living up to my potential. My best trick, the smartest thing I did in a few decades, was to get started on a professional degree at 42 years old, returning to a university, and thereby avail myself of campus career and mental health services. I had never been organized enough to get mental health, physical health, career counseling, life counseling, and all that other related stuff, all working together in a concerted manner, but the university itself had them all within a few buildings of one another and they were good at sharing emails about me, so, it worked! The diagnosis of ADHD was delivered to me in January of my first year of that degree program and was very helpful at the time. It’s been about a decade since then, and I have had a good deal of positive change on the ADHD front. That much is positive, but I haven’t “fixed” myself in any conceivable manner and sometimes I wonder if KNOWING what I am, what I have, and what my extra challenges are going to be, is as far as I’m ever going to get in this particular struggle. Not having lived a childhood of ADHD-intervention makes me wonder whether I would have benefited from an earlier diagnosis?

2 Likes

I just had to switch my psychologist again (the one I was going to only saw people on tuesdays) and I had to go thru the evaluation process all over again Wednesday. Try taking a tablet and writing down everything you want to ask and stuff you think will be important to mention an maybe use it to take some notes while your in there too. Good luck on your evaluation!

2 Likes

You got this

1 Like

i was tested at 7 years old for ADHD and they said i would grow out of it and finally at 20 i was diagnosed with ADHD

2 Likes

Congrats, finally, and good luck!:grin: Hope things go well for you on your eval, and you get the help you need.:wink: Anything we can do to relay your nervousness?

2 Likes