Loud Noises

So Yesterday I was helping my family put in a new wood flooring and so all of yesterday there was drills, hammers, and saws going on. But at about 11 o clock before we were finished with the floor, we still are not finished by the way, an entire shelving unit came crashing down and all the clothes, game, books, and my precious items aswell are all now buried and my head hurts so bad because it gave me a headache and also I just cant stand loud noises so that at the end of the day ontop of everything else just made yesterday awful

4 Likes

@vh0622 It maybe ASD or ASD traits ? I have heard of someone as a child, who had severe aspergers (ASD), who could not stand the fireworks !

Maybe you should get tested ?

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=242714

3 Likes

I have mentioned I think i may have ASD aswell but i have not even perked up the courage to ask my parents to go get my tested for adhd

3 Likes

I have always been sensitive to loud, sharp noises. When I was a kid, they could be unbearable. When my family went to a fireworks show, we had to be at least half a mile away because the explosions would hurt my eardrums so much. (I would have earplugs in and my mom’s or dad’s hands pressed over my ears, and I’d still cry a little from the pain, but I loved watching the fireworks.)

From what I understand, people with ASD can be extremely sensitive to noise or light or touch. However, some people I’ve met with ASD seemed to be oblivious to loud sounds. (As far as I know, I do not have any form of ASD, but it is a quite broad spectrum.)

A few years ago, I learned about the Highly Sensitive Person (HSP, a concept made known by researcher Elaine Aron, PhD). An HSP can be more sensitive to physical and/or emotional stimulus. From what I understand, HSP traits are independent of ASD and ADHD. (It may be related to Sensory Processing Sensitivity, SPS, which I think is more widely understood.)

• I identify with being an HSP conceptually, being sensitive emotionally, and still somewhat sensitive physically (though not as much as when I was a child…my ears became less sensitive around age 12, but noisy environments like concerts are a bit much for me).
  • Disclaimer: The HSP definition is still not widely accepted in the field of psychology.
  • Dr. Aron has said things that sound like she thinks being ADHD and an HSP are mutually exclusive, but I don’t agree with her view on that since I am ADHD and identify myself with her definition of HSP.

And then there’s PTSD. People with PTSD of any sort might be easily bothered by sharp, loud sounds.

4 Likes

@vh0622 you do not need a psychiatrist, a psychologist will do the job !

Maybe you can ask your family doctor or someone can find a psychologist , maybe you can refer yourself !

I would take your ADHD assessment, ADHD and ASD are often comorbid.

I have ADHD and aspergers traits diagnoses !

3 Likes

https://www.autismspeaks.org/autism-response-team-art

Call them, email them , talk about your situation !

3 Likes

I posted this Dec. 2019 and while perhaps not spot-on related to your post . . . I think it’s in the same :baseball: PARK:

I too have a hyper startle response. Its vocal and physical. Arms flailing, jumping back (etc.) sometimes striking a nearby object. If my wife sets it off because I don’t notice her walk up behind me, it will happen. Sometimes my reaction scares her, but generally she’ll just calmly say, “It’s just me . . . your wife!” or “Remember me? I live here too!”

We’ve been together 47 years . . .

When my son was a teen he’d purposely sneak up behind me, say “Boo” and laugh at my reaction. When this happened at work [retired now] I’d get embarrassed and try to explain it away.

I think I’m hard-wired this way . . . ADHD brain? Some other cause? Multi-causal?

It has not changed with meds, meditation, exercise . . . you name it.

3 Likes

My mom has always had a startle response like that, and she can be triggered both awake and asleep. If she is ADHD, it’s more mildly than me, but when I described my ADHD diagnosis and my particular traits, she seemed to recognize some Inattentive traits in herself.

I remembered the other day about Sensory Processing Sensitivity, which is the description of the condition of a Highly Sensitive Person, or HSP. (It is not the same as Sensory Processing Disorder, a disorder often linked to ASD/Autism.) If I recall right, many people to identify as HSPs are easily startled, among being sensitive in other ways.

As with ADHD, ASD, and other neuro-divergent conditions, I think that there is a spectrum for people when it comes to sensitivity. For me, it definitely has to do with how I’m primed…such as being overly sensitive to my kids’ noise levels when I know that my wife has a headache. Otherwise, sometimes I can completely tune out the world around me.

I’m only easily startled when I’m already on-edge about something, but when I was a kid, I think I was often startled by loud sounds.

4 Likes