Low carb diet and adhd

There are many studies that link ADHD and obesity. I have been in that range since I was a teen. Only three times in my life I was able to lose a substantial amount of weight and felt really good! (I had not been diagnosed at those times, so I was not doing it for ADHD symptoms)

About a month ago I began a Aktins/Keto style diet and it’s going very well! No bloated feeling, no cravings for crap (well, mostly, lol) and I’ve shed a good 15 lbs (a little over a stone).

I was wondering if there’s anyone else out there combing this diet with their ADHD treatment.

Oh… I added an article that I came across and found interesting on the subject.

Can’t really answer, I’d like to hear more though. I have been slowly putting on weight for years and I’m starting to get kind of worried about it. I struggle to imagine life without my comfort foods and have never been good at keeping to a diet.

I honestly find that after the first week of following this diet… I dont really have those striking cravings. I read something about carbs increasing dopamine to our brains when we eat it and that our brains then crave that happy feeling. But it’s amazing how quickly the brain learns its doesnt need it. I can sit next to my BF while he eats chips, brownies, lasagna. For the most part he eats like me (because I do most of the cooking) but he still has snacks and such. And on days when I’ve had more stress and I’m really struggling, I communicate that and he doesnt eat it in front of me.

Maybe it would help you too? Best of luck.

1 Like

At the end of the day all diets are really about reducing calories. You need to take in roughly 500 less calories per day to lose one pound a week. This is more sustainable and lets you still eat everything you enjoy. For the most part low carb diets work at first because you are loosing water weight. They often stop working a few weeks after starting because you have already lost that water weight and your body adjusts. Most diets are not actually good for you. They often deprive you of nutrients necessary for proper body function. I recently started trying a different approach. I am trying to eat more balanced meals with the goal of reducing my calorie intake by about 500 from what I usually eat. I also reduced soda has large amounts of calories in the form of sugar and artificial sweeteners. At the end of the day though, do what works for you. THese things are not one size fits all and they are hard to maintain. Depriving yourself of things you love can often feel terrible like a punishment instead of making you feel happy and healthy. Good luck.

I realised years ago that my body no longer had that fabulous capacity to process anything and everything without gaining weight. I still haven’t ever gone on a proper formal diet but I literally watch my weight and often take some kind of action.

So I write down my weight once a week and track the patterns. The highest it’s ever been is the weight that made me start doing this, about six years ago. A couple of times it’s got to that point again, but never gone over. Ideally I wanted to lose 20 kilos, but in practice I fluctuate between the max limit and 10 kilos under that.

Eating less sweet stuff has the effect @BrittanyhasADHD describes: once I’m up and running on the sugar avoidance I stop wanting it.

Also, I prefer to enjoy my calories really actively, so for me that means eating them rather than drinking them. If they’re gone in a few gulps that’s like ‘blink and you missed it’ to me. So I mostly drink water and weak tea without milk, both of which I actually like (since moving somewhere with no chlorine in the water).

2 Likes

I really can’t comment too much on this because I know very very little about food and dieting.

Once I started stimulant medication (elvanse/vyvanse), I ended up naturally eating hardly any carbs. My mum actually said that I was following a keto or almost paleo diet without realising it. The stimulants were reducing my appetite, but maybe they were reducing my cravings for carbs too? Whatever the reason, I lost lots of weight.

1 Like