Meal Planning and ADHD

I have dyspraxia, ADHD and aspergers traits.

I cook the same meals / similar meals every day. Occasionally I forget an ingredient.

I cook a meal from scratch. I peel the vegetables , cut the vegetables, wash the vegetables , fry the vegetables , cook the vegetables until it is ready to be eaten. Voila, there is a meal.

4 Likes

A friend of mine and his son both have to eat a gluten free diet. He and his wife are both working professionals, and she has mastered the art of making a great variety of gluten free meals.

When their son was in elementary school, if one of his classmates brought any treats to share with the class (cookies, cupcakes, etc), she would make something equivalent for him, usually in 30 minutes or less.

Just like with you, Rod, the limitations motivated her to be even more innovative.

As for me, I’m not a bad cook, but I’m not very organized. I decided to make french toast with bacon for dinner tonight. It’s so easy to make, but for some reason it took me nearly an hour and a half, start to finish. (I can’t explain how it took so long… It just did!)

My wife is a marvel in the kitchen. She could have made a gourmet 5-course meal in the same amount of time, or less!

5 Likes

Same for my adult daughter. My wife makes all of her Christmas / Hanukkah cookies GF. She also does the same for all meals (and goodies) for when she visits!

Can’t say I’d be up to doing the same . . . But would do my best if necessary!

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

I had a gluten free diet as a child. I remember having gluten free bread as in school.

2 Likes

Personally, I like to prep veggies and/or legumes that can easily be dressed up and added to something else for a well balance meal.

Ex: carrots, broccoli, peas - you can get these canned or frozen, throw them in a skillet with a healthy oil (I am partial to olive oil) and cook off the liquid.

Later you can throw those on some pasta (I usually eat protein pasta or legume based pasta) with some salt, garlic powder, and some extra oil. You could also add red sauce.

You could also add some of the mix to lack brand of kidney beans and then throw them in a tortilla to make a burrito, or just put it in a bowl, add some hot sauce and/or salsa, and avocado if you like for a “taco bowl” and you can throw some tortilla chips on top.

My favorite thing to do with the veggie mix is add it to past and then mix a can of low sodium campbells mushroom soup along with some garlic salt and have it like an Alfredo. It’s the best!

I also keep some healthy frozen dinners on hand and pop those out on a plate while they’re still frozen and add a cup or two of frozen veggies before heating it up.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

CHADD.org has a digital cook book on their site!!! Added it to my Home Screen :stuffed_flatbread:

3 Likes

Cool. I found a link to the PDF version at https://chadd.org/adhd-weekly/new-cookbook-offers-yummy-ideas-to-feed-your-brain/

3 Likes

One thing that has majorly improved our evenings is services like Sunbasket, Home Chef and CookUnity that actually have pre made or nearly pre made meals. Yes, they are more expensive than cooking yourself. But they are less expensive than takeout every night and have a lot more veggies and good for you foods. This has been a gamechanger for us. We’re still pinning down which service in particular we like more. But after trying meal planning, meal prep, batch cooking and just about every make it yourself box out there, the cost vs benefit for us has been huge. So if it works in your budget, it might be worth looking in to.

2 Likes

My wife is starting a keto diet. I do a lot of the cooking, so I’m learning what I can about keto. If anybody can point me to good info, please let me know.

Meal kit services might be an okay option (she mentioned a while back wanting to try one).

1 Like

JD - Some recipes to keep you busy!

Barry

2 Likes

Thanks so much, Barry! That should get me off to a good start :grin:

1 Like

:+1: :cut_of_meat::cut_of_meat::cheese::cheese::egg::egg:

1 Like