Medication and increased anxiety

Hi everyone,

I am a new another adhd brain in this group. I was late diagnosed at 20 years old. I am 31 years old now. I am using sometimes Concerta 36mg sometimes Ritalin depends on my workload on the day. I am using them regularly for 2 years except for some weekends which is my longest period on medications.

I realized that medications increased my anxiety for last months. My psychiatrist prescribed Prozac( antidepressant). I took Prozac and Ritalin (or concerta) together for 2 months but it made me Zombie. I had no anxiety, no positive or negative feelings, no energy for working and I even couldn’t think easy things about daily life or work staff. Therefore I stoped taking Prozac by talking with my psychiatrist 2 weeks ago. Now my anxiety has come back. If I take Concerta, I can concentrate and work but I feel antisocial. I don’t want to speak with anybody or I can’t find that energy. If I take 2 Ritalin (the second one after 4hours) on the same day, it also effects negatively my concentration and anxiety. Those medications were like a superpower for me when I started the first time but now I can’t work without them and they make me more nervous and less confident during job interviews. I don’t understand what happens to me. Did anybody have a similar situation? Any suggestions?

3 Likes

We all react so differently to meds. I take Prozac, Wellbutrin, and just started on Lamictal (an anti-seizure / mood stabilizer). While I can’t really offer you any suggestions, other than working with your prescriber to figure out the best combination of meds . . . I did want to take this opportunity to WELCOME you to this fine place. I am sure some others will respond and perhaps have specific thoughts on the matter that might be helpful to you. Until then, stick around. We’re glad to have you here.

3 Likes

It is never an exact science. It is very common for meds to stop working for people after a while. Bring up your concern to your psychiatrist because you may need to change medication or maybe the dose.

And welcome to the tribe.

2 Likes