Medications or not

I was diagnosed with ADHD half a year back. Ritalin was prescribed to me but it didn’t have any effect on me. I was relying only on coping strategies for this whole time. Now that I’m thinking of getting medications I’m so scared and nervous. I’m not sure whether other medications would help me… what if they didn’t work? It’s making me so anxious. Should I go for medications or not? Help.

1 Like

You should try. Even if there’s no medications that work for you, there Will be other ways. Cognitive behavioral therapy for instance. There’s a reason why there are multiple types of medication. It’s bc every medication works for everyone. Just try. Don’t get scared about it. There are other answers then medication.

1 Like

^^ Agree with Bubbles. There’s no harm in trying. There are lots of different medications including two types of stimulants and multiple non-stimulants. If you don’t find one that works for you, that’s okay. Then you can keep working on coping skills and finding other supports.

Medication, when it works, can be a great tool to help ease some of the symptoms and daily struggles. It’s not going to “fix” things, but if it is right for you there will be a noticeable difference. If you have specific anxieties about it, talk with your provider and get feedback about them. Be honest about any fears, including things you think aren’t so rational. If you do try medication and it doesn’t work or you don’t like it, you can always stop. These medications clear from your body pretty quickly, so you don’t need to worry about long-term effects in most cases.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

1 Like

Trying medication is often a very helpful piece to answering that question. Since people have different effects and side-effects it’s difficult to come to an accurate conclusion without knowing how various medication affects you in particular. There are multiple other meds you could try and I think there’s value in exploring that. Yes, it’s scary to think of trying them and them not working well, but if you don’t try you’ve guaranteed that they can’t help.

1 Like

Sorry. Had to fix it.

1 Like

Haha its okay. Thanks. My bad :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

You have nothing to lose by trying. What aspect of medication scares you the most?

1 Like