Medicationzzzzz life time

adhdlife

Is taking adhd medication long term studied? I have been on medication since I was 7 years old. In my teens, I became responsible for them and without realizing they were controlled would take as needed. I got badly addicted to medication but withdrew and was able to resume taking them responsibly.
I worry about the safety of taking them long term. I dont know what life is like without adhd medications. I am not in any way saying they are not useful medications or addictive to everyone. I just am simply curious if it would be normal to take these medications for a life time? No doctor is able to answer my question.

Because most people haven’t been diagnosed until the last 20-30 years, it’s hard to say, and no large studies have been undertaken to see the long-term effects, so your doctors can’t really tell you either. But most of the ADHD medication IS addictive to a vast majority of people if not taken responsibly, which is why it’s so important to be taught how to take them properly, and why they’re so damn restricted, making it harder to get a diagnosis.

I DID find two small studies once that noted that they couldn’t prove proper effectiveness of some medications beyond a year or so, and therefore therapy and management techniques for dealing with it was recommended while on medication, in case the effect started wearing off. However, they were small studies, and there’s some doubt as to how representative they were.

But that’s the problem. It’s an IMMENSELY studied disorder, but with very few studies on the actual treatment used in most cases…:sweat_smile:

Thank you