Mental Health Worker with ADHD

Hey guys, my name is Josyane and I’m a mental health worker, have been for three years now. Last October 2019, I was having a meeting with my clinical supervisor, and she asked me if i was adhd. And my immediate response was “well, i don’t know”. So she made me do the ***Adult ADHD Self-Report Scale (ASRS-v1.1) Symptom Checklist that you can find on add.org. My results were high. So she suggested for me to see my doctor. After now four months, I did a long evaluation with my doctor discussed so many things about my life, my job, my family, my relationship., etc. aaaand was finally diagnosed with ADHD. At first, I was like, I’m 29 years-old, how come wasn’t I diagnosed at an early age? I refused to take the medication event though my doctor suggested it. I realized that my ADHD has affected my work and my relationship and decided to come up with my own self-care plan/life goals to live with and worship my ADHD.
And I hope to discuss and learn more about ADHD on here with you guys :blush:

Josyane

2 Likes

@Josyane

Well first of all welcome!

Oh yes, one can be ADHD and not discover it until later in life. I first realized that I had ADHD after an evaluation at the age of 53. My son was diagnosed when he was five. He was the classic hyper active kid, the clown of the classroom, running amok. He also had learning difficulties and it took a while to get those things straightened out. He was started on stimulant meds. early on, which for him was absolutely necessary.

I took stimulant medication for a week but it raised my blood pressure and the psychiatrist told me to stop. I am now retired but for 40+ years worked as a social worker in the mental health field too. I had problems with, and still do, with short-term memory, low frustration tolerance, poor impulse control, anger issues, disorganization, difficulty planning, low self esteem, time-management . . . etc.

Certainly, medication is not for everyone. It’s a matter of choice. I find that meditation and aerobic exercise are somewhere helpful. Getting enough good quality sleep is essential. As I have been told by my wife many times, “you can always try medication and stop it if it doesn’t work or you don’t like it”.

Again, regarding my son who is now an electrical engineer, I’m convinced that without the medication along with ADHD coaching plus a huge amount of support from myself and my wife (everyday!) he would not be as successful as he turned out. As a child he called himself “stupid” and when graduating high school did not think he was college material. It took him seven years and three colleges to earn a BS degree in computer engineering. And that “stupid“ kid graduated with a GPA of 3.97.

You have already succeeded and have a career which is different from a child who without the help might not get to a successful point as a young adult.

I wish you the very best of luck. You have come to a great place here. I get so much from what I read and I get so much also by helping others. In an informal way I am still a “social worker”.

I look forward to hearing more about you or from you directly!

Barry

1 Like