Motivation to go to work

Hello! I’m new to this and excited to meet others who have similar struggles to me, but anyways I’ll get on with it, and bare with me, its a story. So 2 weeks ago I recently started a new job at Panda Express after 2 years of not working, I have horrible motivation and find work to be an agonizing chore and so have a hard time sticking with it, but now I have a daughter and quiting is not an option. The problem is a girl who has been training me has no understanding whatsoever of my struggles. At one point becoming extremely annoyed with me and talking down at me and saying things like, “omg how do you not get this by now”, and many other things like that, she gave up trying to help me and sent me off all while having tears in my eyes because she made me feel stupid. It makes me second guess if this job is right for me which is bad because I already have a hard enough time wanting to be there. Now finally before I go off topic, how do you guys manage to get through your work or school days, how do you talk yourself out of quiting or not going? I have no idea how I can keep doing this job long term if I can’t remember simple tasks or constantly loose count while counting change. I’m not dumb, I know how to count, but in the heat of the moment when there is a long line I simply cannot think, and that’s how the anxiety starts to kick in, anyways that was just a mini rant, I’m more interested in how I can keep going and just do it?

2 Likes

First of all WELCOME!

I am relatively new here, but not new to ADHD. Won’t talk about me now, but allow me to say a few things some of which may be helpful to you.

2 Likes

Thank you! I can’t wait to see what you have to say!

1 Like

OOPS!

Pushed the wrong button before.

Some thoughts . . . I assume that you came to this forum because either you have been diagnosed with ADHD or suspect that you have ADHD. I can say from my own personal experience, and that of my adult son (both of us have ADHD), that ADHD often gives one the feeling of being “dumb” (or “stupid” as my son used to call himself) because some tasks, that may be easy for others, are not easy for us.

Remembering things just explained - DIFFICULT. Getting things done on time - DIFFICULT. Managing several tasks simultaneously - DIFFICULT. Losing or misplacing things - ALL THE TIME. Getting flustered and frustrated (especially when under pressure) - A LOT. Neglecting the important job in front of us to do something that is more exciting / interesting - YEP. . . .

These and more are typical of someone with ADHD.

If not done so already, do you plan to be evaluated for ADHD?

Depending upon your situation medication might be very helpful.

A professional ADHD coach who knows when to support, push, or just listen and who can help you develop techniques or plans to make things easier for you, might help.

Perhaps there is an ADHD support group in your area.

I am sure others here might have some thoughts that you might find helpful. So look around the forum and stay connected.

Wish you the best!

Barry

2 Likes

Hi! Yes I got my ADHD diagnosis at the age of 6 and have just recently started reaching out for support and trying to get to know others who face similar difficulties. I didn’t realize how much my ADHD actually impacted me until I got this job, which is crazy because I had a terrible time in school and just accepted that it was because I was lazy like most authority figures in my life told me, for some reason I never connected my difficulties with the ADHD until now. Could it have been denial? Maybe lol :laughing:

1 Like

And one more thing that I forgot to add is yes I do take a medication. I am taking Wellbutrin and so far haven’t noticed anything. I’m not sure why I haven’t been prescribed a stimulant, I guess something I should consult with the doc.

1 Like

I too take Wellbutrin (and Prozac). I would agree that the Wellbutrin is probably not doing much to help with ADHD. Asking your doctor about stimulant meds. makes perfect sense. They helped my son a great deal. I tried them for a few days but my BP spiked and I was advised to discontinue them.

Best of luck to you!

Barry

(no extra charge for the picture . . . :dog::cat::sunglasses:)

2 Likes

I think most people have difficulties when starting a new job learning a whole new routine and all the rules that go with it, having adhd just extends the settling in process try not to worry and don’t be afraid to ask questions if you’re unsure of what or how to do something even if you know your asking the same questions over and over eventually it will sink in, when starting a new job I try and make a joke about how forgetful I can be and try to laugh when asking people to explain the most simple tasks over and over, most people will see the funny side and laugh along with you, I’ll write reminders on my hands, my phone on stickers where I’m working and the staff notice board and computer too and don’t be scared to make suggestions to your boss with ideas of how to simplify tasks and explain why it would be beneficial to yourself and others.
Hope this helps

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

No problem, I hate having to work and finding the motivation can be really hard sometimes, I find it helps if you have goals outside of work like further education or learning a new skill or hobby achieve things outside of work so you don’t base your whole life around your job, I’m currently learning to speak polish and juggling lol

2 Likes