Movies for children with ADHD

So I am building a list of movies for children with ADHD that have a positive main character that they can relate to, and where the ADHD traits of the character, helps lead the movie to the happy ending.

If you have any recommendations, leave a comment with the title/year and i will add it on to the list.

Movies for children with ADHD

1-Good burger (1997)

2-Dennis the menace (1993)

3-Flubber (1997)

4-The sound of music (1965)

5-The box (2019) short movie

just realised there is a horror movie with the same name and year :joy: so here is the link below for the correct one

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes
2 Likes

2 Likes

images (1)

While not a historically accurate portrayal of Maria von Trapp, the movie character seems to be a positive portrayal of a woman with Hyperactive-Impulsive ADHD.

2 Likes

The Studio Ghibli animated film Pinto from 2008. A large number of characters in the film seem to have ADHD.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that Dennis The Menace counts as positive portrayal… He is called the menace…

2 Likes

I was about to suggest Jaques Tati’s M. Hulot movies but he doesn’t exactly save the day. He makes it more fun, though.

But it reminded me that there was a Gaston movie a few years back and if I recall, he does. Eventually.

Neither of these are officially drawn as ADHD but they do share some traits, especially Gaston.

2 Likes

Also not ADHD-related (that I know of) but a good movie about not fitting in: Harriet the Spy.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, keep them coming I really appreciate it, Just for safety any recommendations for movies that I haven’t seen, I will have to watch before I add them to the list, hope you understand.

:grin:

1 Like

Flight of the navigator is a great movie, i watched it all the time as a kid, not sure of the link to ADHD though? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well in movie Dennis the menace, you see how the characters see Dennis as a menace because of all the trouble he creates, but you learn as the film progresses how, he is actually a very kind and thoughtful kid who just happens to make mistakes he doesn’t intend to hurt anyone in fact he is trying to help them.

at the end of the movie those same character traits that cause him to make mistakes actually allows Dennis to save the day and become the hero, and the other characters realise they misjudged him all along.

3 Likes

One movie I definitely recommend is Home (2015)! It’s intended for younger kids, but I’m 18 and I still enjoy it. It makes me SO happy to see a main character who is definitely not neurotypical portrayed so positively in a kids’ cartoon! (And the movie is on Netflix)

3 Likes

Good suggestion, @Wizard, my younger kids love HOME. Welcome to the HowToADHD forums, and thanks for joining the conversation!

3 Likes

Thank you for the warm welcome @j_d_aengus ! :smile:

3 Likes

@Samuelburns People with ADHD can have lots of energy. The Navigator moves across oceans and continents !

2 Likes

Space Jam in 1997, good for a kid with ADHD

2 Likes

Its not like adhd related but it shows how much words can hurt and just because your different does not mean you do not fit in (Its the greatest showman)

1 Like

I just cane across this post and thought " thats a good idea" then i realised it was mine :joy: sorry everyone i forgot all about it, i will add your suggestions soon :+1:t3:

2 Likes