My ADHD is a... superpower?; or How can I learn to use my ADHD for good?

Hey guys,

I recently got diagnosed with ADHD (and Executive Function Disorder.)

My diagnosis came about because I was looking for productivity tips and came across the YouTube channel the things listed: Structured day, make and prioritize lists, finding/making the best environment, set goals, calendar block, etc.

One symptom/benefit I can’t seem to master is using Hyperfocus constructively, or maybe at all, anymore. I haven’t been hyperfocused on tasks since I was a kid, and it was mostly video games and programming, but now I can only obsess and ruminate about that clown that cut me off on the highway, or how I can’t get anything done. I’ve seen many YouTube videos and books claim this is a superpower, but none are willing to help me do this.

The only thing I can think of is rewards, but any I can think of that would be a great hit of dopamine are counter to most goals in my life:

• shopping (I’m horribly in debt already and have too much stuff) and
  • food (I’m fat, trying to lose weight and need to eat healthy to concentrate)

Now that I’m an adult, I want to start my own business or write my own software and the only thing I can do is stare at my list of next actions. These are things I enjoy. This should be easy, but it’s not.

So my questions are

1. How do you enter a state of hyperfocus and
  2. How do you do it on the right things?

What am I missing?

1 Like

Jake -

Welcome here as a first time poster . . .

Do you take meds?

Maybe some adjustment, or a change of meds, might help (?)!

If not . . . then maybe meds . . . (?)

That’s what I’d explore to begin with . . .

Only a suggestion!

Other things that might help:

:person_in_lotus_position:t2:‍♂ or :mountain_biking_woman:t2:

Wishing you the best . . .

Barry

1 Like

Hey Barry,

I don’t take any meds yet. I have an appointment booked for July 29th. My goal was to try and handle ADHD without them but it seems not feasible. :crossed_fingers:

I do bike semi-regularly. Usually 3-4 times a week, but that’s as much as I have time for. I can give meditation a whirl if I can find the time.

1 Like

https://www.mindful.org/a-meditation-to-focus-attention/

Found this . . .

1 Like

In terms of number 1 is different for everyone and sometimes you cannot control it but for me atleast if I want to hyperfocuse on a paper for school there needs to be two things at play one : creative freedom and two : some guidlines that are very clear for what is expected out of the paper but not too generic that it can be anything.
2. You dont do it for the right things its more or less based on intrest so if you want to start a bussines then do it in something that is intresting to you but allows you to grow

1 Like

If its “right” you’ll know because you can . . . Unless it’s the “wrong thing” and then you’ll know that having so much fun may have been to the neglect of the important right thing (i.e. something required to keep your job; something that is really important to your significant other!):exclamation:

Wouldn’t it be great if all things important could be equally entertaining?

:sunglasses:

1 Like