my confusion with my career path

hey brains and hearts! i was diagnosed with adhd in the second grade and nobody really spoke to me about it or explained it to me which i know wouldn’t be too easy for a second grader to understand but as i grew older nobody said anything. im now in the tenth grade and throughout 2020 i was doing a lot of research and figuring out a lot about myself and a lot of things were a really difficult pill to swallow, i blamed my parents… I didn’t and still dont understand why they swept it under fhe rug, something that’s such a huge part of my life, i then came to realize that they don’t even really understand it and so i went on this journey to understand not just adhd but also other mental disorders which i am so passionate about, now i am on a mission to help people like me, especially children and teenagers. therefore i really want to study psychology I’ve read countless books and articles and watched videos about it and im really excited for my future because i finally found something im passionate about although i have this side of me that wants tonstart my own business, I’m not sure if this is because im a bit afraid of college/university because when that time comes it’ll probably be more challenging and im already struggling enough with high school. im stuck.

3 Likes

Hi @erin !

There is a few things.

Find a career path suitable for you which may or may not include college.

Find the possible accommodations, if you go to college.

Look at your strengths.

Psychology may be a good major, because you understand, the comorbidities of ADHD.

Maybe, get some counselling.

Good luck !

2 Likes

Something I found, and this will completely depend on your college and university so please don’t take this as gospel, but…

School was very difficult for me, the environment is not ADHD friendly at all. There were too many distractions, the classes are generic, I very easily lost focus in the classes which didn’t interest me, I was bullied (not for ADHD, for being the immature nerdy kid - which I guess could from from ADHD but still…), and yeah, school was not easy.

College was better, the place was friendlier and I found people more open about their interests so found people I had things in common with. As for the classes, I was still very easily distracted and had trouble focusing, but it was easier to work because I enjoyed what I was studying and it stiumlated me. I did nearly get kicked out for lack of work and lack of attenednce because I didn’t tell anyone I was struggling because I didn’t think it was ADHD back then, but when I told my tutors I was able to get accomodations like working outside of the classroom and having my teacher check my work before i handed it in, and because a college has less people usually the tutors are able to offer more one to one help.

University was hard because I had no one to hold me accountable, I struggled to get things done on time so my work quality suffered and I had to ask for assistance a lot. I left university, but not because of ADHD reasons. While university was harder than college, it was easier than school - in terms of working with ADHD, and there are a lot of support resources at university for people with ADHD and other conditions, not only professional ones and counselling but also study groups, 24/7 libraries and study areas, and it’s something you want to do which makes it easier.
I will say though that if you find the first year hard on you for ADHD reasons, try the second, because the first year of a uni course is usually very generalised and may not be as stimulating for you.

Whatever you do in the future, I wish you the best of luck, but try to remember that while ADHD does come with its challenges, it does not define what you can and can’t do and there is always someone or something to help you.

4 Likes

@erin

If you want study psychology, you will have to have some grounding in Statistics.
Psychologists collect lots of data, it needs to be organised, stored and organised in a suitable format such as a database or a spreadsheet,

Data can be analysed with test such as the mean, median, mode , total etc or there is modelling , it could be modelled to find out if there are differences between groups . Bar charts , pie charts, line graphs , scatter plots etc can be produced to visualise the data.

Luckily , it can be done using software such as Excel etc.

3 Likes

@erin - psychology is a great field to study. I think it’s very interesting and I think it’s a great way to at least introduce you to ways that you can help people. If you want to be a psychologist in the United States at least it requires a master’s degree or doctorate.

If you want to use psychology to help people, there are other ways besides being a psychologist (which you could do instead of or on your way to becoming a psychologist, such as: becoming a licensed counselor or therapist, being a life coach /ADHD coach, or similar line of work (guidance counselor, social worker, etc). (Being a therapist or counselor might require a bachelor’s degree &/or professional certification. There is professional certification for ADHD coaching. There are also numerous volunteer roles which can help people in similar ways, such as being a youth mentor.)

3 Likes

@erin You have a passion that is half the battle. The first two years of college are like an extension of high school. I made it through by going to a Community college.

I started at the University of Florida. Some classes had hundreds of students. I learn best by discussion and not just a lecture hall. I did ok but felt like I needed smaller classes. I finished my AA at a nearby community college. I was in class of 25. I took several psychology classes that I enjoyed.

I then returned to U of F for my bachelors degree in special education then went to full-time teaching. I return for more education to get my masters. I did this because I did not know what my issues were I just had to conquer them unknown reasons that I struggled .

ADHD and learning different s were not named let alone understood when I went to high school.

2 Likes

@erin I went into teaching students with special needs because I wanted to help students like myself.

The most important was that they learn that they were smart and just had to learn how they learn best. I taught for 30 years because it was my passion.

You can do a great deal for children like you who need to understand themselves. You chose a profession that you can work at in so many ways and amount s of education. I hope this makes some sense. I am passed my bedtime and am loosing focus. Shoot for your highest goal and if you must drop to a lower level. Good luck

2 Likes

@erin one more thing. Most colleges and universities have offices of special needs. They offer educational assistance. I was lucky to have supportive parents and professors who followed what they taught. I also took classes all year so I could take less classes at a time. Since I taught full time I took one class a semester and three during the summer. I also had my human spellchecker (my husband) and one of the first Apple computers sold to help.
It can be done.

2 Likes