Hi, all. I kind of already did this on another section but…
I’m Josh, I’m 23, and live in England with my parents. I am an IT Problem Engineer and an aspiring writer.
Since I was little I have faced many things that made me “different” and while a lot of the time I haven’t paid it much heed, as I am happy with the things that make me different, now I have reached adulthood some of these things are causing difficulty in my home life, work-life, and looking back have caused me trouble in education too.
I am looking to see someone about getting a diagnosis as I think I have ADHD, but before I do that I have been doing all sorts of research and online tests, etc. One last thing I want to do before seeing someone is getting the opinions of you brains on my symptoms. I’ll understand if no one wants to read all of this as it will likely be a long post, but I will put my symptoms and some of the things I face, it would be a tremendous help to know if you think it is ADHD/something else/nothing…
- Easily distracted, zoning out, cannot focus, often don’t hear when people talk to me
- Impulsive, restless, “childish” (I hate this word in this context)
- An issue where my head becomes loud/full and has 30 voices running at 100mph and I can understand none of them
- I suffer from anxiety + depression + rejection senstivity, and am extremely emotional and sensitive in general
- Find it hard to start things that will be mentally taxing/take a long time / find myself putting things off until there is pressure to finish them, i.e. deadlines/consequences
- I cannot stand clutter or mess, it makes my brain fuzzy and I completely shut down, it’s hard to explain how this feels
- Forgetful - in lots of different senses: I will forget what people just said to me/what I said, forget what I just read, forgot I made something or started something or did something
- Random outbursts of energy (genuinely large verbal or physical outburts)
- I’m either super hyper or absolutely knackered
- I get frustrated/impatient waiting for my turn or for people to stop talking
- Sudden mood swings (not just anger, a variety of emotions)
- Constantly switching tasks/what I am doing (like, after like 10 minutes) - especially if it is something I am not interested in (short attention span)
- I need everything to be organised or structured or I just end up forgetting things / not doing things
- Indecisive to the point where if I haven’t got something pre-set I will just spend all day deciding what to do and not doing anything
- I get sensory overload, both from noise and physical touch
- I have terrible timekeeping, even if I know and plan the timings for things
- I get told I make random noises without even knowing I’ve done it
- Verbal instructions are not very good for me, I need to do something/be shown something
These are most of the things that affect me currently, I have a separate list for things that have affected me in the past/things that affect me on and off - I also have created lists on how these things affect me and where.
There are also more things that I would list but I have come up with ways to lessen the impact of those things over many years of experiencing them.