Need your opinion

Do you think there is a correlation between ADHD and homeless youth/ homelessness in general?

4 Likes

hmm, yes I do . Someway or the other these individuals weren’t catered for, and most likely not advised by anyone.

2 Likes

I don’t know, but this would be a very interesting research question. I would not jump to conclusions about homelessness, but there are definitely more school dropouts.

2 Likes

I know this is a couple of years old post, but I have been wondering about this quite a lot. I know some people whom I don’t know how to help, plus a “moral failure” perceived as such myself and especially by other people is one of my greatest fears.

I know some people with either diagnosed or undiagnosed ADHD who are not doing well and are potentially at risk of homelessness and one who is more or less homeless. I have read that ADHD correlates with lower quality of life (not sure how it is measured) and socioeconomic status I guess.

I personally think that many people who are homeless are homeless because of undiagnosed ADHD or some other invisible interpersonal barrier due to which they are ineffective in the environment and the whole society blames them for it, in some cases attributes their symptoms to lack of responsibility or drugs which they may not even take or which are only a way of coping with the situation or a result of executive dysfunction. I had a coworker and a friend who was really badly disorganised and was either working long hours till exhaustion or drinking, and he also had some with drugs, couldn’t keep savings and was in debt. He has a university degree, clearly has a sense of responsibility, and is capable of hard work and effort, but has bad executive dysfunction, dysregulation, and some other ADHD and ASD traits. I am sure that we all know people that are often looked at with disrespect or even scorn, and I believe that our moral intuition often leads to unjust judgment and mistreatment because even a person’s morality is bound by traits and limits they were born with and can do little about.

It seems logical that people with fewer resources do not have the necessary resources to get help. …I can certainly see how I could end up badly regardless of my effort and it troubles me quite a bit.

Does anybody know whether there are organisations that would provide support for people with special needs but also for people whose impairments are not visible? How do I find out who qualifies for allowances and how to get support for someone who does not have the resources to seek help by themselves?

1 Like

I would suggest asking the local government (city, town), local social services, or the nearest hospital what they would recommend. Maybe even the police department. In my experience, these institutions usually know of some of the help available.

Local churches may also be able to make recommendations. Some churches and church denominations provide such assistance themselves, too.

Otherwise, try a Google search for the assistance needed, and add the words “near me” into your search.

2 Likes

Thank you, JD!
I was not thinking about an “emergency” situation at the moment. Rather I had in mind the situation where you can see that someone is trying but perhaps cannot pay their bills on time, they get their bills obstructed and you can see how the system is really throwing obstacles in their way that make the fall quite likely, and there is not much you can do to help, and not much you can do when you happen to be in that situation. I think that most people with ADHD are probably familiar with the helplessness that come with being overwhelmed and not able to stay in control of their life. And you can see that some people are in a position where they are even at the risk of ending up on the street and have no structure of support and no recognition.

I also have a cousin who is fifteen, diagnosed with ADD but has / also has ASD and has no sense of responsibility, has never had support arranged in school until now as far as I know. My uncle and aunt are trying but you can see that they do not have the knowledge they need, are divorced and each of them trusts different professionals and they do not have any financial support which, considering the time that they spend taking care of him, they might be eligible for.

And as I have mentioned I am concerned about my own future as well and would like to have a certain structure developed that would prevent me from failure if my life takes a wrong turn, it would be too late to think about it then. There has to be some chain of non-profit organisations that can point to relevant services and give legal advice in different countries?

1 Like

For ASD:

I’m not finding such help for ADHD. (Most of the info I can find is for USA & Canada. It all seems to be “education and advocacy”, but no financial assistance.)

ASD is more easily seen as a disability than ADHD is. I think that’s why there’s such a difference in support between the two disorders.

@zackary

Absolutely , there is an likelihood of people with ADHD being homeless .

A huge number of people with ADHD are undiagnosed for various reasons .

People with ADHD, have a much higher chance of being unemployed, underemployed, working in unstable jobs which are precarious jobs , earn low incomes , depend on welfare .
They are more likely to be fired from jobs , quit jobs .

Problems in school May a cause of the problems .

They are much more likely to have additional psychiatric issues .

The end result a far higher chance of having financial problems including unable to pay the rent , utilities resulting in the possibility of homeless , sadly .

ADHD is a risk factor in homelessness but other issues may contribute to homelessness as well .

It is a not a simple , black and white issue .

2 Likes

I actually know a young person who was homeless and is struggeling with education, job, paying bills and I think he has ADHD but he himself and the family doesn’t think so. He has done a lot of self medication and the family now believes it is a drug problem. Might be, but I personally believe it stems from an untreated ADHD. I can imagine that this is not a single case.

2 Likes

There’s definitely research to back up your beliefs. Many people who are undiagnosed ADHD (and even some who are diagnosed) will self-medicate. Adequate treatment for ADHD will actually help many people be less inclined to self-medicate with alcohol or recreational drugs use. It cannot prevent addiction, and people use drugs and alcohol for other reasons, too.

Cocaine and methamphetamines directly cause dopamine surges. Nicotine use is high in people in untreated ADHD because of the way the nicotine stimulates the dopamine receptors in the brain (if I understand that correctly). A next-gen ADHD treatment may be based on a medicine that mimicks this “treatment” from nicotine, but without the addictive quality. (Research is ongoing.)

3 Likes

My mind used to just FLOW when I sat back and had a nice fat cigar. I’d relax and feel all the stress slip away and my creativity would just unload. Instead of getting spurts and starts and wandering between 16 different trains of thought I could just keep rolling downstream.

I didn’t do it regularly so there was no addictive component. And there were far fewer additives than in those vile cigarettes.

1 Like

Sounds tempting :joy:

Thank you!
I am sorry that I haven’t replied till now! I left a draft and forgot to send it.

I am a bit embarrassed about my searching skills, I just found out that there are tons of websites :sweat_smile: But like you have mentioned, the active support seems to be offered only to ASD - there is even some sort of ASD card which I guess should, in theory, make your life easier. Limited financial support at least in my country is offered only to the families of those who are affected to the point where they need continuous help and supervision. I guess that a likely scenario is that you either get help from family or manage to cope on your own and if you don’t, you end up in some scary institution - not that much has changed since some 19th century, what was I thinking :upside_down_face:

Most support for ADHD I have found is specifically for parents run by parents, the funny thing is that many of those parents probably have ADHD and don’t know about it. There are organisations for ASD, which are generally just for ASD. I find this quite frustrating as ASD overlaps with ADHD quite a lot and then there is the large portion of the population that never gets the diagnosis. It is likewise frustrating that there is little acknowledgement of what ADHD truly is and how severe it can be, especially considering how common ADHD is. But then there is little to no recognition for all sorts of serious societal issues… It is amazing that there is any recognition for anything, it is not like this has been the case throughout history.

I think that many of those people have ADHD and just cannot function very well in society and drugs are the secondary problem. They don’t have the resources to cope with their life so they naturally respond by trying to escape the situation and it can become really difficult not to fall into some sort of addiction. And then you have the problem with dopamine which is a problem on its own in ADHD. Thinking about how bad simple procrastination can be, imagine trying something that gives you a boost and then your dopamine levels fall so low that you have zero self-control and motivation, and the only think your body wants is to do it again.

1 Like