Nervous for tomorrow 😬

In about 12 hours I’m going to see a neurologist about my ADHD ( as well as a learning disability and possibly autism ) I know it’s generally not how people get diagnosed but it’s mostly paperwork for accommodations. That being said, I don’t remember any of my previous experiences so I’m really worried. I have no idea what’s going to happen but I’m scared something will go wrong…I don’t have the best history with mental health professionals so we’re hoping this is a good compromise

Any advice ( or encouragement ) would be greatly appreciated!!

Now that sounds really interesting! Sorry, I know you are nervous, but my experiences with neurologists all revolve around epilepsy. I’ve had EEGs, CT scans, MRIs, and everything else, awake, sleeping, and otherwise. I would imagine that a neurologist would look at ADHD, LD, and ASD in a very clinical brain function test kind of way. If you think about it, you can’t possibly do anything other than your brain is going to do, so you really shouldn’t be nervous about something that you can’t consciously change. Neurologists spent a lot of time studying what part of the brain controls what functions, what chemicals in the brain control what activities, and stuff like that. You might spend a bunch of time just talking and answering questions, you might get referred for some tests (none of the ones I mentioned above hurt), or there might be even another route that I don’t know about. Either way, I think you are going to be fine. And remember, no matter what happens, you won’t get banished from the tribe of brains. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the response, I was kinda concerned no one would see it :sweat_smile:

I hadn’t thought about it that way! I guess it’s easy to get wrapped up in so many what-ifs you forget reality :thinking:
I don’t really mind taking test, especially now that I know they won’t hurt. I like looking at things from a clinical perspective and honestly that’s part of why I have such a hard time with therapist and whatnot ( their line of questioning doesn’t immediately seem logical )
If you don’t mind me asking, how old were you when you went to the neurologist? Was it scary? I’m not exactly little but I always seem to feel like a kid at the worst moments…

The very first time I went to a neurologist, I was baby, so I don’t remember. I started having seizures as a baby and they later discovered a rare childhood brain tumor that was thankfully benign. I had surgery when I was seven, but I continued to see a neurologist because they honestly couldn’t tell that my seizures had stopped and it was just the ADHD in me. I was all fixed with a giant scar on the side of my head that my hair covers except when I put it in a ponytail.

Fast forward to my first pregnancy when I was 27 years old. I had a tonic-clonic seizure or two in a nine-month pregnancy, what they used to call grand mal seizures, so they watched me and left me alone. The second pregnancy brought a few more of those, but not enough to worry. Then, suddenly in 2009, I started having seizures that I wasn’t aware of, but I was a stay at home mom, so someone was. One day, my husband returned home from work and my four-year-old told his daddy that mommy was laying on the floor spitting, humming, and shaking earlier. That freaked out my husband and he promptly scheduled me for the local neurologist, where I had a seizure in his office. The slightly inexperienced doctor bombarded my body with a high dose of medicine to get it active quickly and I got a referral to a clinic that specializes in epilepsy. They did the tests that had become old hat when I was a kid. They determined that the seizure activity was on the opposite side of my head from my brain surgery, so scar tissue was not to blame. The wise doctor that was assigned to me decided that he didn’t care what was causing it as long as he could control it. I have been seizure-free ever since but refuse to go off of my medicine because they still can’t tell me why I was having them. I have too much to lose if they return when I go off of it: injuries to me or someone I love if I have a seizure while driving, loss of my license, and thus loss of my job, etc.

Anyway, that is why I’m so calm about neurologists. Sorry the response was so long. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It wasn’t long at all!! I enjoyed hearing your story :blush:

1 Like

UPDATE: I survived the appointment!!
Still not 100% sure what happened because I’m very tired but it seemed to go ok. I basically sat in a room and did a computer test then talked to the doctor. They ordered a blood test as well as a genetic tests and ( strangely enough ) suggested several vitamins. There was also mention of visiting a neuropsychologist but I have no idea what that means. There’s been no definitive diagnosis but they think I have ADHD and no autism ( the LD will be tested by someone else )
So yeah I don’t really know what to think :neutral_face: has anyone heard of a doctor suggesting ( not prescribing ) vitamins as treatment for ADHD?? Has anyone see a neuropsychologist before? I’m still trying to figure this all out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear you survived the appointment and that you are closer to having a diagnosis. Sorry I haven’t been around very much lately, I will try and make some posts sometime soon.

1 Like

No problem! Take your time :yum:

1 Like

I just had an…interesting conversation with my mom. Turns out that I had gone through preliminary testing as a kid but had never been officially diagnosed with anything. I hate admitting this, feels like if I write it down that makes it true :pensive: I never really thought about myself until I started learning about ADHD. It changed my life in so many ways and allowed me to grow. Now, I’m scared of losing such a major part of myself! I guess what I’m trying to say is…

I might just put this on my wall and stare at it whenever I feel like crying :sob:

2 Likes

It’s a diagnosis that not every practitioner is comfortable making. I was diagnosed back when it was not widely known. The higher popularity of the ADHD diagnosis later meant that it was also getting backlash as an excuse for bad parenting. Now practitioners felt like they needed more evidence than experiential reports from parents and patients to support the diagnosis of ADHD. I had to get a re-diagnosis before I could get a psychiatric nurse practitioner to give me medicine for ADHD. The psychologist wouldn’t say anything more definitive than I probably had ADHD and the medicine working for me would be the diagnostic tell. I think half the problem is that coping mechanisms that I have developed in 40 years of life mask my visible (to everyone else) symptoms.

How did your appointment go?

2 Likes

Ahhh ok. I think it’s definitely hard to explain that something’s a problem when you supposedly know how to handle it

My appointment went fine I guess. He looked at my general health and suggested a couple vitamins that I looked up. Something feels kinda off about the situation but I’ve decided to stay with this doctor and see if it’s just nervous jitters. We did a blood and genetic test so the results will be discussed next time. My concern right now is figuring out what the heck a neuropsychologist is ( I’m being referred to another office for learning disabilities ) the lack of conclusion is frustrating but I guess that’s life :sweat_smile:

A neuropsychologist is someone who specializes in the brain (neuro) and its role in behavior, says my knowledge of medical roots. But, you got me interested, so Careers in Psychology says:

Neuropsychology is a branch of psychology that is concerned with how the brain and the rest of the nervous system influence a person’s cognition and behaviors. More importantly, professionals in this branch of psychology often focus on how injuries or illnesses of the brain affect cognitive functions and behaviors.

This would be the special psychologist who sees people with autism, ADHD, sensory processing disorder, PTSD, etc. This would definitely be a person who is more knowledgeable about an ADHD brain.

1 Like

Sorry, I missed this one. I was busy stressing about the upcoming scout campout and photographing an important annual event. As for vitamins as treatment, yes, I have heard of that. I went to a lecture by Henry Emmons, MD, the author of The Chemistry of Joy. You should check it out. At his clinic, he treats depression with elevated doses of Omega-3s. Now, this happens in my house because I’m the parent and the one in charge of medical decisions in my house, but you should talk to your doctor about any extra vitamins you want to take…but I give my son 1000mg of fish oil each day to regulate his moods. He’s never been diagnosed, but I know he is bipolar like his father. Since starting that, I haven’t had to soothe the broken heart that suddenly started mourning the favorite pet that hadn’t been mentioned in ages. It works for me, so yes, I have heard of it and don’t think it is that strange.

1 Like

Ohhh ok, thanks for the explanation.

That sounds really fun!! I’ll definitely check out Henry emmons

1 Like