New Adult ADHD - my whole life makes sense now! Help lol

So it turns out I have ADHD - I’m about to turn 37 and I just learned this. It seriously makes every single one of my “quirks” make sense! I’m actually excited by the diagnosis because now I know what I’m working with…but I’m totally overwhelmed and of course hyper focusing on this.I hobby jumped from Aggretsuko and Gudrtama desk supplies to this in .00001 seconds. So, what do I need to know? (Invites flood gates to open)

6 Likes

Welcome to the HowToADHD forums @KawaiiADHD!

I had the same kind of response when I got diagnosed a few months ago, at the age of 45.

Do you know which ADHD presentation you are most like (Predominantly Inattentive; Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive; Combined Presentation)?

There’s lots to read and lots to share on these forums, and lots of good people here. I hope that you come to feel as much as home here as I do.

Welcome to the Tribe!

4 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have a super clear presentation of both. My brain going a thousand miles per hour at all times, inability to focus most of the time, but then hyper focusing on things that interest me, I’m bad at transitioning between places or circumstances and become very tense in those moments, I’m totally organized and love creating systems but then they fall apart in a week or two. And I don’t straighten things up for at least a month so it can all fall apart again. I thrive super well under pressure but can’t focus well without it. Music allows me to focus most of the time. When that stops working mindfulness exercises seem to work well. The one place I’m organized is on paper. I’m good at managing my planner but I also keep it colored and cover it in stickers and washi tape so I make it like a fun project (I’ve done that for quite some time and before learning I have ADHD) oohhhh… and I have ten unfinished books on my Mac desktop lol. Very creative and constantly moving from project/hobby and never finish anything.

3 Likes

Welcome!!!

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @KawaiiADHD! Now that you know, enjoy the ride! Do read other messages on the forum and post your own questions and share your experiences. You will be amazed to discover many things you thought were just your own peculiarities are shared by many!

4 Likes

Hi @KawaiiADHD, welcome!

I kinda felt the same way when I was diagnosed at the age of 22 last year in February, and between that moment and now (I was about to get into that whole process of figuring out the medication and stuff…) I learned a few things of which one describes my experience with it since I’m aware of having it. And that is basically the close comparison of my own experience with it and how much it’s like a rollercoaster.

Now for the fun fact, I’m absolutely terrified of rollercoasters so that might be ironical. But I also found out that I’m not just some mega dumpster fire who basically failed at life, I found out that there’s a lot of people like me, or partially like me, or even just having the same struggles I had. ADHD is a lot of things, it can be very useful and… just oddly come with perks sometimes. But it can also be a pain, and when that happens things can get tough in my experience. But knowing you’re not alone then and seeing some ways that helps lightening the burden of it made it really easier to get through for me.

I think by now you already feel this seeing the others welcoming you as well, but I hope you know you’re always welcome to ask me (and probably the rest of us as well) about things you’re uncertain about having gotten a diagnosis so recently.

Welcome to the tribe :v:t3::upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your words of support :slight_smile: overwhelmed by the need to respond lol…if only I had a deadline for these :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Welcome @KawaiiADHD to this ADHD group !

3 Likes

I did the same thing with learning as much about ADHD as i possibly could.
Welcome @KawaiiADHD

3 Likes

For me I was in my early 50’s when first diagnosed. Though I should have guessed it as my adult so was diagnosed when he was 4 yrs. old. His 12 y.o. daughter is also ADHD.

:apple::apple: :arrow_down: :evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

3 Likes