New diagnosis...to add to the ones I already had 🙄

Hi. I just received a diagnosis for ADHD inatentive type from a psychiatrist. I have been treated (on and off) for depression and generalized anxiety disorder for about 25 years. I only recently thought about ADHD when a manager said she recognized it in me. She has ADHD. I started to read about it and took an online test. The test said there was a high probability. After this I discovered the how to ADHD YouTube channel and started bingeing. Learning about ADHD made so many things in my life make sense. It explains why I am always losing things, missing appointments, forgetting what I’m doing, making questionable decisions, etc.

I went to my family doctor and she referred me to the psychiatrist. The psychiatrist confirmed depression and anxiety and added ADHD. He prescribed Wellbutrin and kept me on Prozac. I was hoping to try a stimulant med, but he said he wouldn’t presribe it because I use marijuana. He did say he would consider it if I could pass a drug test though.
I’m hopeful that I can start to live a better life now that I have a better idea where my struggles are coming from.

1 Like

Welcome to the HowToADHD forums @Jeremy_Schwager !

Sure enough, ADHD is often a comorbidity with other conditions, such as depression or anxiety.

I also have the Inattentive presentation (and had anxiety as a comorbidity, to begin with). My doctor started me on an SSRI for the anxiety, then on Adderall. After a few months, I convinced him to have me try atomoxetine (the brand name is Strattera, by I’m on a generic), and it worked better for me than the Adderall.

Generally, more people respond to a stimulant medication (80-90%, I think) than those who respond well to Strattera (about 70%, I think).

(I’ve never in my life tried marijuana. Probably few of us American Gen-Xers haven’t. Honestly, I’ve never even been curious. So, I was able to go right into Adderall when my doctor decided so.)

Thank you for your welcome! I appreciate being acknowledged. I’ve honestly felt like kind of an outcast or that something is wrong with me for many years. At least knowing that there are many others like me, with the same challenges, makes me feel better. Having three mental conditions though, even though I agree with them, makes me feel like a crazy person. I’m definitely not comfortable with that.

1 Like

I also felt like there was something wrong with me, before my diagnosis. I remember in my college days thinking that I must have missed the lesson in time management in one of my intro classes. So, during my working career, I learned a few time management systems… And I still struggle.

Once I learned more about ADHD, and when i got my diagnosis as confirmation, so many things in my life, like my struggles with time management, all finally made sense. It was like a common thread running back through my life all the way back to First Grade (when I was labeled a daydreamer.

Now, I find it much easier to accept myself, because I understand why I have had these struggles.

1 Like