New Girl On The Block :) (Exercise)

Hi Everybody!

Really happy to be here. Relieved this forum exists!. I am newly diagnosed (mid-30’s gal) and summer so far has been an emotional rollercoaster. :expressionless: I’m getting all the help I can find; the process takes time. Today’s my first day joining this community - you can call me FitnessMunkie. :slight_smile:

I am by no means a “fitness junkie” ~ (complete opposite actually lol) but I chose the name as an ode to my new lifestyle. The name FitnessMunkie is a reminder to myself to exercise daily no matter what. This time its not for weight loss, the dream six pack abs or the aesthetic; but to take care of my mental/emotional well-being! We adhd’ers are so hard on ourselves. We are so ambitious on the inside. I know for me, I set goals too high and then crash emotionally when I can’t stay consistent (because of my add symptoms). Aiming too high was not the best for my mental health.

A few days ago I woke up very depressed, crying, angry, hopeless, felt alone, misunderstood, frustrated that meds weren’t working…I knew I had to do something to get out of the dark hole. I forced myself to go to the gym. I was miserable the whole time, but I told myself, “At least do the elliptical for 30min, even if you’re furious on the inside.” I wasn’t any happier after I was done - but at least I could say I got out of bed. Not accepting my adhd debilitated me; so I forced myself to accept it and started moving. It was either that or stay miserable.

I realized in the last 48 hours just how important exercise is for add’ers.
My add counsellor kept telling me its the #1 most important thing…but I used the excuse that “my meds suck” and I can’t for the life of me, get motivated. While its true we’re still doing trial & error…I realized I have to ‘gym’ even if I don’t like it; because eventually it’ll make my brain stronger.

Today was day 2: I exercised for 75min. I put an “X” on my calendar by the door and told myself, “Don’t break that chain.” :slight_smile:

This is my daily routine:

• Wake up, brush teeth, put on my gym clothes, grab water bottle, speed walk to gym.

• Elliptical for 15min. Heart rate up with mild sweat. 9/10 I end up staying 30 min elliptical, and 30 min arms, back weights. I do not go hard like a freak! lol. I just do my best.

• Go home: Take Med, Omega’s, draw “X” on calendar, reward: coffee! Then I can do whatever I want. ie. check texts, shower/protein bar, get to work!

• Endorphins last for 2 hours after a workout which means I do the most important task first. (Work on editing, quick!)

• By 6pm I halt working. I ACCEPT that my body/brain will start to wind down. I can eat dinner, clean, podcast before bed.

I might not have the right meds yet, and therapy results might take months to see change. Its going to take time to get used to my new life.

At least today, I officially Surrender & ACCEPT that normal means exercise daily. Brain/body care is the most important before any other goal. If I axe that, all the other areas of my life will flounder.

Our responsibility as an ADHD Brain is to make it strong.

• The memory-hippocampus enlarges with every workout.

• Proteins get released in the brain.

• Brand new neuropathways build.

• Dopamine/Endorphins/Serotinon release alleviates pain, stress, depression and makes us happier.

• Norepinephrine (attention, focus, motivation, perception)

As soon as I accepted exercise is a positive scientific fact; I dropped all my old negative beliefs around exercise. Its not a chore or a burden; its just routine task humans need to turn on our ‘human computer’. The same way we boot up our laptops to watch YouTube – our brains “power button” is exercise.

Sleep is the “shut down” button Zzz… :slight_smile:

Thank you every one for reading, wishing you a happy week ahead!

Wendy Susuki on fitness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHY0FxzoKZE

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your stay and make some new friends.

2 Likes

Welcome welcome! I love your routine and your attitude!

I officially Surrender & ACCEPT that normal means exercise daily

I have to try and remember that! Your human computer analogy reminds me of something I read a long time ago, called “the Cyborg Manifesto”. Just pulling a line from its wikipedia page: “The cyborg would not recognize the Garden of Eden; it is not made of mud and cannot dream of returning to dust” We Brains can’t just wake up, get dressed, and go to work or whatever. We have to boot ourselves up with no SSD!

Also speaking of cyborgs, have you seen the Korean movie I’m a Cyborg But That’s Ok? I found it at the library, and ended up really liking it! (Though this is a digression and the movie doesn’t have anything to do with ADHD)

Haha that’s kind of my approach to exercise too. Step one is to just get on the treadmill and turn it on. Then see how it goes :slight_smile:

Anyway nice to meet you!

2 Likes

Welcome :slight_smile:
I agree about the importance of exercise for mental health, but I generally have an awful time making it happen for all the same reasons that I need to do it. It’s an ongoing quest.

I couldn’t resist the tangent, because I have seen that movie and really liked it, but generally have a hard time convincing other people that they should watch it.

2 Likes

I am soooo worn out thinking about doing all of that!!! Fair play :clap:

I have done zero exercise for over a year and a half…forced myself Saturday morning to go run a 5k run with hundreds of people!

Shattered still now but helped a lot feeling i achieved something

2 Likes

All right! That’s awesome that 1) you know of the movie 2) you watched it and 3) you liked it! Haha I guess it might be kind of niche. But talking about it today is making me want to watch it again. I just need to find a dvd player!

1 Like

Well, you blew me away. Welcome to the tribe!

1 Like

Congrats and welcome!

I love that you’re so onto this exercise thing, I’m on a similar journey myself - getting those mental gains!

Thanks for sharing, and wishing you all the good vibes and motivation for this awesome journey you’re on :star_struck:

1 Like

Thank u!

1 Like