Object Permeance's role in ADHD

A friend who I talk to about my ADHD sent this to me. It is 100% true for me and I’m wondering how many other people find this to be factual? It may be common knowledge but it was eye-opening for me. Hoping it may be for someone on here as well.
All the best and hoping you’re all having wonderful weeks filled with peace, love, understanding and compassion.
~MD

3 Likes

Yup. Out of sight, out of mind.

2 Likes

Agreed.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve not only forgotten about vegetables/fruits, but also completely forgotten I’ve had other things that I shopped for. I’ve ordered multiples of various items not realizing that I had a box already sitting somewhere where I had placed it at the time. I forget possessions daily too like my badge for work or my clothes that I just set out. If it’s not there for me to see, I forget it exists and I also forget that I needed it.

Prior to medication my organizational system was piles. At least with piles I knew where everything was. Now I struggle more, but also in part due to living in a new place and sharing it with someone, as well as needing to take some time to do some organizing and decluttering.

There was a really great webinar on ADDitude a while back on organization which talks about this more. I think this it: Conquer Clutter the ADD Way

2 Likes

Okay so this is way I get hyper paranoid that people hate me if I hadn’t heard from them for a while. Also why I keep wondering if loved people that passed away were actually real - like it is embarrasing how many times I doubt the existence of someone that has passed away, like I can only assure myself that they were real if I see a photo or a video.

3 Likes

Haha I called my piles, “organized chaos” it may look messy, but I know EXACTLY where everything is.

2 Likes

Totally hear you. Hopefully you’re able to notice self-realizing that you MAY be doing that and is a start towards telling yourself that isn’t the case. But I do the same when I haven’t heard from people in a while. With most (not all) people, usually I feel a sense of guilt and reach out with a text to just say hi sometimes. I think everyone finds it nice to know people are thinking about them and invested in their well-being.

2 Likes

I do this with movies and shows I want to watch. I also think there’s honestly WAY TOO MANY choices nowadays which leads to choice fatigue in our brains that occurs faster the more we do it. I started making lists of movies and shows I wanted to watch nightly with my wife and do my best to cross things off the list as opposed to getting lost in my Netflix queue. If I lose the list or eventually just lose interest, I’ll try to evaluate how I’m feeling then and in what mood I’m in for entertainment and just make a new list without getting too down on not completing the old list. Here’s a very recent example to share:

2 Likes

Haha also PS to @seiselen to prove I wrapped my fingers to prevent biting 2 days ago, lol. I’m with you brotha, we got this shit!! :fist:

1 Like

I remember seeing this on twitter and thinking about how hard this resonated with me. Definitely not the only one that saw this and found it eye-opening!

2 Likes