Officially part of the Tribe!

So guess who finally got diagnosed the other day?! That’s right! Me! ;D

I know I’ve been MIA from the forum for the past couple of months. I went back to Finland for the summer to work on the boats and catch up with the family and some friends, so been quite a busy couple of months!

But I’m back in Scotland now, and as soon as I got back I got in contact with the clinic I’d been referred to a year ago to see how long the waiting list was still. They told me I was next in line to be seen and probably would go until October before I was seen, but two weeks later they phoned me saying they have a cancellation spot available the next day and I jumped at it!

So as of two days ago, I am now officially diagnosed with ADHD Combined type ^^

I’m not sure if it’s entirely sunk in yet, or if I’ve just processed the possibility of me having it for so long already that I’m just totally over it, but I don’t feel very different at all! Mainly just happy to have the confirmation now that I’m not entirely crazy and my suspicions were right haha.

In any case, I had to get my heart checked out (A simple ECG) as a precaution before they prescribe me anything, so had that done yesterday, and all is AOK for me to try out meds now! So I just got my first prescription for Concerta XL 18mg. Gonna try 18mg once a day for a week, and then double the dose the following week, and take it from there. Since it’s already the afternoon now, I’ll wait until tomorrow to take my first pill. Having mixed feelings of excitement and a little nervousness!
Fingers crossed it goes well :slight_smile:

Anyway, just wanted to update anyone who has been following my “journey” for the past year!

All the best ^^

7 Likes

Hey i read this one fully after skimming over other post and feeling bad for not being able to read the whole thing, very exciting times, i remember getting the diagnosis and it explaining so much about my life and it was amazing, i got the medication around lunch time and i had taken the day off, ritalin not concerta (same stuff but different type of time release thing) so i took one tablet and it was a huge revelation and very overwhelming in a good way (even with lots of previous illegal in some countrys drugs experience) all the noise went away and i could hear the birds singing and just close my eyes and not think about anything unless i chose to, it was all very overwhelming so much i cried, but in a good way, that was just my experience and lots of people don’t get anything like that, but anyways i think its great you got diagnosed and wish you well trying the meds, medication isnt everything but it can make a huge difference that exercise, diet and many other things just cant do on their own, hope it goes well tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome officially to the tribe @Emilia!

2 Likes

Yay, great news!! :blush: Happy for you!

Well done!
Combined here too, not got meds yet in the process of booking appointment.
Hope the meds go well!
please keep updated once on them?

Hey Enzo, sorry for the slow reply! I don’t come on the forum as much as I used to, trying to cut out that procrastination :wink: and life is pretty busy at the moment. But didn’t want to just leave you hanging!

I’ve been on the meds for a week and a half now, first week minimum dosage - not sure I noticed any difference, few days on double that dosage now, and definitely feel a bit more alert now. I’m still somewhat distractible and not 100% focussed, but it’s a bit better! Feel a bit more driven/energetic I guess you could say. Like I’ve just had a really big coffee and need to get moving!
Perhaps the biggest difference I’ve noticed though is drymouth! :joy: no amount of drinking seems to quench my thirst or make my mouth less dry. So that’s a bit annoying, but maybe that’ll pass, or I’ll just have to start eating mints/chew gum all the time again :joy:

Actually, having just taken my pills an hour ago, I can feel them kinda starting to kick in now. It’s a bit hard to describe how they make me feel different. It’s very subtle. But I do feel slightly more concentrated, kind of hyperfocussed right now actually haha. Wanted to have a sip of juice now for like 10 minutes but still keep writing this… (my glass is right next to me…) wanna get these thoughts out on paper now that I can… haha :joy:

I do also feel that I’m at my most alert anhour after taking my meds, and maybe two to three hours from there, and then it kinda gradually fades again, and evening time I feel pretty pooped.
Can’t say if it’s the meds making me tired or if that’s just me getting tired in general in the evenings, I’m just hyper observant about how I feel for the time being. So stuff I haven’t really paid attention to before, I am now, to note how the drugs do or don’t make me feel.

I do feel like my sleep has been a little different since the meds too. I’ve usually been bad for going to bed on time, but whenever I so, I usually fall asleep almost immediately, and sleep like s rock. But now I feel it has sometimes been a little harder to fall asleep, and my sleep hasn’t been quite as deep. I woke up one night at 3:30 in the morning to a moth flapping against my window very loudly… extremely annoying and I had to get up to catch it and chuck it out.
But stuff like that wouldn’t have woke me up before… make it impossible to fall asleep, sure. But not wake me up from a deep slumber… :joy:

Need to turn my focus to something more productive now though… CV and job application awaits… :sob::gun: okay I can do this… if not now, when…? :dizzy_face:

Will try to keep anyone interested here up to date with how my experience with meds continue :slight_smile:
I know when I was undiagnosed looking for info, I would have loved to hear more experiences of ”older” people trying meds for the first time too.

1 Like

Great explanation, it can definetly be very up and down to start with plus tired feelings etc, im sure over time as your body gets used to it and any tweaking of dose or time you take it will all start to balance it out. Sleep was always hard for me at the start but i found exercise really helped but needed to be a serious amount, the other thing that helped was melatonin although not a strong sleeping tablet like some it was just enough get me to sleep eventually, Hopefully its all getting better and making more sense now for you.

1 Like