OMG I brought ADHD up with my mom!

Wooow! Before dinner I finally brought up the idea of me having ADHD up with my mom. If you haven’t read any of my previous posts, then basically I am a middle schooler who has recently in the past few months been obsessively researching about ADHD and nervous about bringing it up with my mom. I’ve been looking for ways to talk about it to my school psychologist or strategies with my mom.

And it finally happened tonight after sitting on it since July. We were discussing home work I had to do and my struggles paying attention in class when it was boring and stuff. She was like maybe we need to put you on some drugs. She was half joking and half being serious and she mentioned that kids with ADHD have to do that. And I was like yeah but I would have to have ADHD diagnosis in order to do that. And then you know we talked about it and I basically spilled everything told her about how I’ve been researching it for a while and she was like yeah when I was a kid I thought I had it as well. And so me and my mom were just kind of together talking about it, researching it online. I showed her a couple of Jessica’s videos. In the end she was like yeah I think we both have it and so we’re both going to go get a diagnosis as soon as possible. :joy::joy::grin::grin::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::partying_face::partying_face:. I’m just so happy. It was so perfect and so much easier than I thought it would be I just had built it up in my mind. But my mom has anxiety, which isn’t like diagnosed but she’s struggled with some mental stuff like anxiety and depression a little bit. And she’s so open about talking about mental health I just was so nervous. Anyway I know that’s just the first step in a long journey but it was definitely the hardest one as of right now. I want to thank everyone that helped me out and supported me the last couple months. It’s not over but I wouldn’t be where I am now without Jessica‘s videos and your guises insight. So thank you so much!!! I’m so incredibly grateful and will continue on this forum. For it’s amaaaazing. Love you all and wish you the best with all of your daily struggles. OK bye.

8 Likes

That’s awesome!!! Congrats :tada::tada::tada::tada::tada: let us know what happens next!

1 Like

That is indeed awesome! That must be such a weight off your mind! Onwards and upwards now😊

Also, you may want to share this bit with your mom:

There’s a strong possibility that het anxiety is actually because of trying so hard to deal with her undiagnosed adhd. A double diagnosis of something else alongside is really common in an adult diagnosis. I was really upset about mine, cos it even had the words ‘personality disorder’ in the title. It took me a few months to calm down about that, but I’m OK with it now ,and it has helped me to understand myself better and move on. My life is so much better since I had the therapy and coaching I accessed with my diagnosis.

2 Likes

I didn’t have that experience. I was totally an adult. And did that by myself. It’s never a boring experience to get diagnosed.

1 Like