One way to look at anxiety

I was folding laundry just now (and am still supposed to be,) and had sort of an epiphany about what might cause so much possibility anxiety in myself and perhaps other brains.

I think that NT people will most often think in statements, from what peers say. IE: “Ann looks kinda upset, it’s possible she doesn’t want me to be here. Ann wouldn’t have invited me over if she didn’t want me to be here, though.”

My brain thinks predominately in questions. “Does Ann look upset? Maybe she doesn’t want me to be here? But she invited me, so why wouldn’t she want me to be here?”

Obviously the first example leaves very little room for the brain to ask itself a bunch of questions. It’s straight, logical, and probably true. But the way my mind goes through the information leaves so much room to question outcomes, that it’s very easy to ask just the wrong question to make myself anxious. Do other brains feels this way? What do the NT people in your guy’s lives have to say about whether they think in statements or questions?

2 Likes

Interesting idea… I think my own experiences and anecdotal evidence suggest this is right.

In a similar situation, I’ll have a bunch of questions floating around, and I’ll even question statements which, on the face of things, seem solid enough but don’t necessarily fit the picture I’m trying to form.

And questioning everything, necessarily forms doubt. Which, in turn can feed anxiety.

2 Likes

My anxiety derives most from impulsiveness, fear of failure, forgetfulness usually, because I’m always trying to remind myself if I’m forgetting something, if I will not be late to an appointment, that sort of thing so it can get quite stressful sometimes, so I tend to rush things over so its one less stress to worry me about, but I try to keep an eye on this so I don’t overwhelm myself too much, so I don’t rush too much, so I don’t stress too much, it’s a balancing act for me, specially if I’m in a situation that I might overcommit myself into easily.

About interactions with other people, I’m kind of really bad at figuring out motivations of others but really good empathy at how a person is usually feeling, so I can get that a person is feeling someway but hardly figure out the motive behind it, usually if its not obvious that is not me fault I tend to think if I might be the culprit, I try asking the person if possible, I try to be very transparent about what I think (not so much at how I feel because I have a hard time figuring that myself… lol), but I wonder if the wording of the thinking could affect that in any way or another, never really put my mind into it in that way.

2 Likes