physiotherapy , helping ADHD ?

I am aged 42. Age 9, I attended an assessment because the school were worried about my poor coordination. There was evidence of dyspraxia, ADHD and aspergers traits. I was told to have physiotherapy. I had , maybe 1 session of physiotherapy. My mother was told , my coordination would get better .

I received diagnosis of dyspraxia, ADHD and aspergers traits as an adult , (1 by 1).

Does physiotherapy help ADHD ?

I think it does !

Any had any experience of physiotherapy ?

2 Likes

I am sure that physiotherapy could help anyone with ADHD, but would probably help people with dyspraxia or other movement/coordination issues most of all.

Exercise and ADHD
It is well documented that exercise helps people with ADHD, particularly aerobic exercise, and any type of exercise which involves balance and coordination.

Dr. John Ratey is a big proponent of exercise as a treatment for ADHD:

As is his frequent writing partner, Dr. Ned Hallowell:

As much as I know exercise will help, I have tried many times in my life to get into an exercise habit, but haven’t stuck with it yet. I know that I need exercise, and I even bought a recumbent stationary bike a couple of months ago, but I’ve only used it twice so far. I keep waking up early, so maybe I just need to get on the bike when I wake up (instead of laying in bed reading the latest forum posts and news headlines).

2 Likes

Just picked up on you saying you found it hard to stick to exercise-If you would like some ideas here’s what helps me:

1. Do something fun!! Maybe something that’s a bit of a challenge/involves learning and goals if that’s your jam. My favourite sports are horse riding, climbing, dancing and skiing - if I just tried running or something I couldn’t stick to it!
  2. Find buddies! If you have someone to go with (especially a motivated and/or organised person🤣) it’s sooo much easier! Example - horse riding is one of my absolute favourite things to do. I loaned (basically means long term borrow/part borrow) this horse for a while where I didn’t have friends to ride with and even though I really wanted to go I’d while the time away without realising until it was too late to go and then be mad at myself!. I barely went. So I switched to riding a friend’s horse and went with her - with someone to meet at a specific time (alright alright I was always late but you know what I mean🤣) I was going 3 times a week easily and more sometimes
  3. Book classes/join a club! Again - having a specific time to stick to helps, the atmosphere/motivation can help, can make friends!
  4. If you are actually more of a solo player and prefer something repetitive like running/cycling maybe an audiobook/podcast/music would help? You could find something you’re really into and only allow yourself to listen when you’re doing the exercise?
  5. Build it into a routine and make it easy to do
    If you want it to, hope that helps!
2 Likes

Thank you for the suggests, @Lucy1

• Fun for me isn’t enough of a motivator. - It would have to be something that’s fun for me to do with someone else. (Left to myself, I gravitate to whatever takes the least amount of physical effort.)
  • Regarding finding a workout buddy - I’m a family man, a homebody, and an introvert… So, I don’t do much outside of work and home. I a few friends, but no close friends that I’d go workout with. (My younger son is interested in learning martial arts, so I suggested we do martial arts workout videos together in the morning; but he never joined me, so I stopped doing it.)
  • Classes have only worked for me if I’m getting graded on my participation. Even if I’ve paid for a series of classes, I’ll end up not going towards the latter half (unless there’s a grade involved).
  • I generally do things solo, but as I mentioned in my first point, I gravitate towards doing low-activity things (like reading).
  • If I can establish a routine, I can usually keep it going. The hardest part is getting started, and the second hardest part is keeping it going long enough to become a habit.

When we don’t have to wear masks and do social-distancing anymore, I think that the best idea would be to sign up for a martial arts class WITH my son.

An author by the name of Gretchen Rubin created a model of personality types she calls “The Four Tendencies”, about whether people are motivated to Meet or Resist expectations from within and/or from without:

• Upholders - meet inner and outer expectations
  • Questioners - meet inner & resist outer expectations
  • Obligers - meet outer & resist inner expectations
  • Rebels - resist inner and outer expectations

I’m a textbook Obliger.
I put others’ needs and expectations before my own. I have a long, long list of things that I want to do, but unless one of those things is going to benefit others directly, I don’t have the wherewithal to actually do them!
(Which is why I can see myself going to a martial arts class with my son, but I didn’t pursue my own interest in martial arts very much back in my single days. I’ll “go to hell and back” to help others, but I’ll only “take the path of least resistance” for myself.)

1 Like

There you go, great idea! I’m the same only one of those ideas alone doesn’t work so I have to conbine helpful factors or I’d never do anything!! :rofl: I got a dog too, he’s pretty insistent that we walk so at least I have that when all else fails (like during Covid!!!):rofl::dog:

2 Likes