Picking a good cue for starting to cook dinner

Hello everybody!

Do other people on here also have trouble with getting themselves to cook dinner?

During the week I don’t come home at a certain/fixed time, both on work days and in the weekend. When I’m home, I tend to be very tired and I don’ t want to start cooking.

I do like cooking (so that’s not the problem), and I plan simple meals after my work day.

My problem as far as I can see is that, due to my varying scedule, I’m unable to really get a habit loop going. I like my cue for a habit to be a previous habit. But if I get home at 4 and I start cooking at 6, I can get lost in Youtube before the clock strikes 6.
A phone alarm doesn’t work for me when it comes to cues.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I know a phone alarm doesn’t work (relatable) but would a timer work? Could you set a physical timer in the kitchen and then you have to go to the timer in the kitchen and bam, you’re in the kitchen?

I’m also trying to find a good cue. :confused: Right now I just cook right when I get home, but I only cook twice a week when I get my HelloFresh delivery, but I won’t be able to afford that once I run through their promo discounts, so I don’t know what I’ll do after that.

Thank you so much for replying, belldam!

I should definitely give a physical timer a try. Jessica told about the Time Timer in the ‘How to (actually) get out the door on time’ video (tip 2-segment) . Unlike a kitchen timer, it’s apparently silent. It’s rather expensive, but I’m so tired of feeling dumb and like a failure…

Awful you’ll soon run out of promo codes! :slightly_frowning_face: Those boxes can get so expensive …
Can you promo codes of a different meal box?
It’s not a sexy birthday present, but maybe your birthday is coming up, and people are willing to give you a HelloFresh subscription?

I cook an extra large batch of pasta sauce, curry, burrito’s, gnocci, etc. on Sunday (I am single, but I cook 4 meals) and then I freeze it. That way meals get cheaper and easier. Is that an option?

My freezer can hold up to 21 containers. On work days (I work 3 days a week) I reheat the freezer meals (get them out of the freezer and into the fridge the night before). I may have to cook some veggies or pasta to go along with it, but within 10 minutes I’ll be ready to eat. It’s the dishes that trip me up, really.
I also have a ‘veggieburger-fried potatoes-veggies’- meal once every week, as it can be done within 15 minutes.
During the weekend I like making quiche/casseroles - I can eat two days after making one of those. I have some recipes I can make with half a working brain cel, and when the dish is cooking I clean the kitchen. Unfortunately the long oven time makes it unsuitable for week days.

I have (had?) the exact same problem. I get lost in youtube at 6, and I like to begin cooking at 7. What I do to get myself up is simply looking up a recipe on youtube about what I want to make. I get lost on the cooking channels of youtube, and personaly, 20-30min of that is enough to make me want to get up and cook. I usually don’t follow the recipe (unless it looks really good), the video’s job is simply to get me hungry enough for that meal to get off the couch and go to the kitchen.

Seems a bit silly now that I’m writing it down, but it works for me!

1 Like

I actually tend to watch youtube in the kitchen while cleaning (because I usually have to clean it before I can start cooking). I have the same problem a lot of the time but when I do that it helps me get situated and it’s a much smoother transition between tasks. Hope that helps!

1 Like