Primitive technology

So I have decided to build the chicken house for the 100 chick’s we have coming, myself. Not only that but I am going to attempt to make a wattle and double hen house.

Maybe I will completely fail. But I have been so fascinated by primitive tech since that guy began the channel on YouTube years ago now. I have always enjoyed building and we do a fair amount of ‘homesteading’ lifestyle stuff.

What’s stopping me? Nothing but me.

And how cool would it be to do a business where you go to a person’s property and use the primitive techniques to build them little buildings, like a playhouse or a goat house or just a shed?

3 Likes

That’s a very interesting idea. It would be a unique business idea.

2 Likes

Not to toot my own horn but I am very good at making things. But I have such a terrible aversion to making the same thing twice. So many times after producing a costume piece or article of clothing someone will be like, “You should sell these!” But I can’t. I can’t repeat and reproduce projects.

In fact, when I make my little girls dresses I have to look at the two dresses as one project or one gets a dress and the other gets disappointment.

In between all the doctor’s calls and everyone’s feeding schedule today I am going to clear the spot.

3 Likes

i have knitted a bunch of socks.

i have never knitted a pair of socks.

1 Like

Who says socks have to match to be a pair? Can’t they simply coordinate?

3 Likes

What! there are more people like me out there? (I have only read the heading and one post)

Currently looking at refurbishing a shed, were going to do ‘cobbing’ but the domestic management has deemed it high risk of meltdown (me not the cobbing) so we’re going high tech and using aluminium lined polystyrene (eps).

I’ve also been working with sustainable buildings researchers and turns out ‘primitive techniques’ are not necessarily lower quality. You can go a long way to earthquake resistance and thermal comfort using such methods as earth bag or cobbing or wood frame (japanese still do it) anyway when I get a minute I’ll read the rest of the post and contribute where if appropriate.

Good luck!

1 Like

Modern tech does often trade efficiency in one way for efficiency in a different way. Like speed of production sacrificing insulation or labor of construction being faster and easier for longevity.

I am still clearing my area… my rake’s head broke off in my hand… so now I need a new one of those. But I am getting out there with my machete/hook knife and having fun chopping stuff up. :smiley:

1 Like

have you encountered katy bowman’s work on movement at all? she’s not everyone’s cup of tea. but one observation she makes is that lots of modern tech is designed to help us avoid movement. so we can then go to the gym and use other machines to make up for never moving.

i try to remember that while i dream of a self-cleaning apartment.

2 Likes

We’ve been binge watching George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces from BBC Channel 4, these three builds are from season 9 (without the lead ups): the last one had the man cruising the river for drift wood to incorporate into the build (not shown) and how ADHD friendly would it be to live on a barge and relocate every two weeks? (not my favourite build but interesting) The Most Incredible Transformations | George Clarke's Amazing Spaces - YouTube in the 9 seasons there are plenty of inspirational builds some with primitive tech, but all different.

Personally captivated by the (so called primitive) self supporting reciprocal roof: How to Build a Reciprocal Roof Frame | The Shelter Blog though I have no Idea where I’d build such a dwelling inspired because of this guy (this is a clip I found searching youtube, he has two builds featured on amazing spaces) Converted Sewage Treatment Plant - ITV Anglia - ecoguru.com - YouTube

and I think I mentioned earth bagging came across a “natural houses” channel on FB that lead me to this: https://www.youtube.com/user/naturalhouses/videos there is one on passive cooling (don’t know what climate you experience - or are going to experience) but here’s the channel page - just noticed how old the videos are: https://www.youtube.com/user/naturalhouses/videos

anyway that’s me done, back to preparing for the coming weeds/week.

1 Like

And how/what do I build? well there is a frame that had to be put up around a couple of passion fruit vines , after they had grown too big for the makeshift one I’d made out of sticks - you can make out the original materials if you look hard enough:

Quite proud of my repurposing of bits of everything including an old gate as a roof (painting and decorating by the kids over a decade ago now, with additions and modifications):

2 Likes

All of these posts are so great!

I have always believed that nothing can take the place of real physical work for exercise. Just as it is better to get your nutrients from actual food than from vitamin pills. It’s even better to stay as hydrated as possible using food rather than simple bottled water.

You spend one day with a rake and ho making a row to plant food in and tell me it isn’t better than cross fit, plates or whatever the trend is at the moment.

And I think that delving into primitive building opens one’s eyes to scavenging and reusing. Suddenly there are a plethora possibilities on every street corner or dumpster!

I have given thought to doing some rving as time goes on and tech makes it more and more possible to keep working and schooling children while on the road. As soon as Mr. Musk makes his StarLink completely mobile, I am there… or really anywhere lol

I live in a semi tropical environment. We don’t even get cold enough to frost until late January often enough. And last frost is usually by late March. That’s one reason I am looking at doing moss over wattle rooves for the hen house. It should be good insulation against heat. Initially it will probably have magnolia leaves for roof tiles though. They are magnificent!

Moss roofing absorbs rain and helps with runoff, and adds insulation especially under some nice shade trees.

That’s another thing that bugs the heck out of me! Insurance won’t allow trees close to the house or branches overhanging the roof. Well… all the old buildings here are purposefully built under trees. It helps protect from hurricanes and shelters from sun.

2 Likes