Psychiatrist and medical resources around the world


I happen to see some ADHDers asking where they can find medical support during their stay abroad. Why not each of us start a new topic on how and where to receive treatment in our native countries, and other ADHDers in that country may comment to add more information? I’m sure that would help.


In australia you need to start with your GP . If you are paying full fees that will cost somwhere between $70 and $150 per visit depending on who and where and what time and what day. It can be more than that but thats an average i would say. Then he will probably refer you to a psycologist for assessment that will probably be around $150 - $250 a visit and you will probably see him 3 or 4 times as an adult and maybe psycometric testing at about $800 Then on to a psychatrist for a diagnosis and if you wish medication. Full fee for the guy i see is about $350 an hour. I am not sure how many times i will see him in total i suppose everyone is different.

We are fortunate with having comparably good public health care. And we will get a fair lump of that paid for by the government. The GP could be free the psyc you might get upwards of 40% back and the psychiatrist again you might get the same. And once you hit a certain amount spent on health care in a year the amount covered jumps up quite a lot.

The only complaint i have about ADHD treatment in australia is that if your diagnosed as an adult you dont have access to subsidised medication. But compared to what i have read about the states we get it cheep anyway.



In NZ very much like aus above, but adults and children and both funded the same once diagnosed and pay $5.00 per month for either ritalin or dexamphetamine, diagnosis is strict and limited to a few experts in main city’s which if you want to get within a few months you have to go private which can be 300-400, that is from a adult experience so possibly children get fast tracked through public service which would be cheaper.


In Taiwan, psychiatrists are found almost only in medical centers (which is the highest level of all hospitals). The treatment, however is relatively inexpensive. Each visit costs about $15. Medications are mostly free of charge if you’re diagnosed as a child or teen( but expensive for adults). Our national health insurance will pay for the rest.( that is if you’re insured).
Ritalin and Concerta are the only available medications. They are restricted, I don’t think GPs are allowed to prescribe them. But don’t worry, you don’t need a referral to be allowed to see psychiatrist at a medical center. The doors are open to anyone.
The only thing that really sucks is that some doctors have an extremely long waiting list. Sometimes I have to wait till midnight.


In Norway you can get an appointment with a specialist after getting a referral from your GP, however the wait for the specialist can take months. There are also private hospitals that are quite expensive, but you can usually get an appointment directly with a psychologist in a matter of a week or two. But it will likely take several appointments of $+150 per session to get diagnosed and everything, so that can be prohibitively expensive for quite a few people. The public system is pretty much free above a certain limit (set by a government agency each year, not sure what it is now).

Ritalin LA costs about $16 for a box of 30x10mg.


You have to wait until MIDNIGHT…?!:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:


In Japan it was until recently impossible (read: illegal too) to receive a diagnosis if you were above 18. Luckily the diagnostic manual has now been updated with actual science, and adults can now also be diagnosed and receive medication. You need to find a clinic specializing in mental health (心療内科), and the national health insurance (which is mandatory for longer stays, such as student visas) will cover 70% of everything.

Ritalin was heavily abused in the 90’s and 00’s by parents who didn’t like their energetic kids and wanted them to study better, so has been banned for anything but the most severe cases in children (ONLY!), but Concerta slow-release is still available for adults if the doctor thinks you need it. ANY amphetamine is completely out of the question for ANY reason. It is not considered a medicine at all, only a drug. (Japan is still stuck in the 50’s, when lots of soldiers from WWII struggled with addictions from using it during the war. It’s literally on a list of stimulants that’s theoretically never going to be legalized EVER for that reason.)

They do also have Strattera here, and it’s apparently less restricted, so easier to find a doctor that is licensed to prescribe Strattera than Concerta. If you need Concerta, call to clinics in advance to check whether they have the lisence to prescribe it. Learnt that the hard way after 20 minutes in a waiting room, and the nurse came to me and told me to look for another clinic if I wanted to stay on Ritalin LA (as Concerta) as their doctor wasn’t lisenced for Methylphenidate.

Here’s a link (Japanese only) to a site where you can search for clinics that have confirmed they deal with ‘Adult ADHD’, to find a place near you. If you don’t have a diagnosis from before you come to Japan, you generally either need a clinic with an English-speaking doctor, or be good enough in Japanese to fill out the questionnaires and paperwork in Japanese.

Sorry that I can’t be more helpful for those of you with children with ADHD, but I’m not so sure about the process for them. (Fun fact, a study of ADHD prevalence and perceived prevalence in Japan had teachers rank around 3-5% of school kids with ADHD, while the kids’ parents ranked their kids at 30% having ADHD. The parents just don’t think it’s OK for kids to be energetic and run around playing, they should ‘conform to society’, so way higher reported rates from parents than teachers. Hence the heavy earlier abuse of Ritalin.)


Well, this is true only if the doctor you see is a famous one. Unfortunately, the one I see is one of the most famous on the island. (He’s the only few that has such expertise back then when I was diagnosed. Which implies he’s probably the most experienced expert.) Most of my fellow brains in Taipei are his patients. You can imagine how terribly long his waiting list may be. But we find him quite worth waiting for since he’s a perfect listener.( By the way, he understands English even with my good fluency and fast pace. This is unusual, as most Taiwaners have trouble understanding spoken English even when people try to speak slowly.)


Wow… That sounds rough… Especially if you’re sitting around waiting, a nightmare for any Brain…!:sweat_smile: But if he’s the best, hopefully it’s worth it!:blush:


Not seen a UK post on this thread so I’ll add one. I’m not sure unfortunately what the process is for visitors, I imagine it’s similar but I only have experience of the NHS as a UK citizen so you’d have to check the process for visas etc.

In the UK, you are able to seek your own assessment/treatment from the age of 16, meaning you’d be assessed/treated as an adult. Under 16’s are seen by a paediatrician with consent of a parent or legal guardian.

Any GP can prescribe ADHD medication, but ONLY with the direct instruction from a consultant. The GP will need to see a recent letter which confirms your dosage before they will prescribe it. Stimulants are a restricted drug in the UK, so there are tighter regulations on getting them. The script needs to be written by your GP with exact precise instructions, or else it won’t be dispensed. You may need to sign a register at the GP office if you collect the paper script there, and then you’ll need to sign a separate box on the script. You’ll also need to show ID at the pharmacy at the first time you collect it.

A month of any ADHD medication is the standard NHS prescription charge, which at the moment is £8.80, going up to £9 in April.

Any change to your meds need to be approved by the consultant. The GP will refuse to prescribe anything for ADHD that isn’t in writing from a specialist. I’m not sure what the line on private assessments is, I’m not sure all GPs will recognise them?

Access to assessment and diagnosis varies wildly between local authorities so it’s an absolute postcode lottery. You’re usually better off in a main city, but waiting lists are at least several months wherever you are.

If you’re employed in the UK and need extra help that your employer can’t give you through reasonable adjustments, you can apply for an Access to Work grant to receive extra help at work and with travel to and from, and could even include an ADHD coach. I’ve never seen this happen and I guess it’s quite rare, but theoretically the option is out there! Decent employers should also be able to refer you for an occupational health assessment, which can help them and you to figure out ways of doing your job around your ADHD or any other condition you have. All of this is free to you if you live in the UK.


Fantastic message and info may i use this aswell in the campaign please :+1::+1::grin: