Question: Evenings and Medication

Apologies if this is in the wrong category. I also did a search for my specific question but didn’t find a previous post that fit, so if I missed it please let me know. :slight_smile:

My question is this:

I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult and started medication. The medication has been life-changing. It is incredibly helpful for me during the day and for the roughly 10-12 hours of its effectiveness. However, in the evening the medication seems to wear off and I experience the return of the symptoms I experienced before.

I’d like to speak with my prescribing person about the possibility of taking another dose of something in the evening so I can get the benefits of medication at home and not just at work. Am I being greedy?

I feel a lot of guilt about taking the medication in general, and the idea of asking for more makes me feel selfish. At the same time, I can’t help but feel like I’m missing out on things at home when the symptoms return at night.

Do any brains have experience with this situation? Do you take a second dose of medication to help in the evening? How did you approach that conversation with your prescribing person? Is it greedy to want the extra help with medication?

Thank you for reading if you’ve gotten this far. <3

UPDATE:

So, things went not well. I arrived to the appointment to find out that my PA, with whom I’ve been working for the past 1.5 years, no longer works at the clinic. I had to meet a new psychiatrist who ended up being not only abrasive but also made me justify and clarify my diagnoses and mental health history all over again. I tried to advocate for myself and my needs, including asking questions about my medications and interactions, as well as expressing things I was concerned about. He very nearly refused to give me the stimulant medication. And when he did, he asked if I was doing drug testing and regular lab work as part of it. Then, when I went to the pharmacy afterward the pharmacist who I’ve seen and worked with for about as long (1.5 years) commented, “This is a lot of prescriptions” referencing the dose changes over the past few months and noted that the new dose will will require another prior authorization. I’m worried about that, since I’m not sure if the new doctor will actually do that for me since he seemed so reluctant to continue with my current medications, even the non-stimulant medications I’ve been on.

So, all in all, I tried to advocate for me. I was fully prepared to ask the questions I originally asked above, but then I got thrown off by the sudden change and having to justify my needs to someone who met me for less than 10 minutes and didn’t read my chart. I’m sure other brains have had similar experiences. The short is that the questions above didn’t get answered but I may not end up asking them now for fear of having the medications that are so helpful to me taken away.

Thank you all for the answers before, and also for reading. <3

2 Likes

I’ve always found that just being straight forward with “prescribing people” lol about that kind of stuff is the way to go, worst thing he/she can say is they don’t think that’s a good idea or something. When i was younger and taking immediate meds i took a evening dose and it worked well for me at the time. I’ve honestly been thinking about asking a similar question also, let me know how it goes and good luck!

1 Like

I have an appointment today. We’ll see if I’m brave enough to bring it up. Good luck to you too!

2 Likes

Thank you and you got this! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This has happened to me. Talk with your md. Maybe he or she will give you a small short acting medication dose at the end of the day just to get you through so that you don’t experience that much of a crash.