Remote working procrastination and overwhelm

Hey there Brains! I am (very) new to this forum, website and Jessica’s refreshingly fun, frank and honest discussions on ADHD. I only came across her and all of you, while randomly Googling tips to tailor my Bullet Journal system for my ADHD brain and well here i am…

I am 90% sure i have ADHD and this has been the case for only a matter of months after my mother was diagnosed last year and we started to talk about it more, the more and more i have read, researched and observed in myself the more i have come to believe i too am living with an ADHD brain and i was going to take action via my GP… BUT THEN Covid happened and everything changed - overnight and my ADHD brain now faces even more challenges than it ever has!!! Working remotely full time with ADHD is so tough!! But as i work in London and realistically won’t be able to access the office until 2021 i have to find a way to not only cope but to thrive.

After watching some of Jessica’s videos and then her TEDx talk Failing at Normal (which made me cry) i have just called my GP surgery to request an appointment to discuss being referred for an ADHD assessment - it’s only the first step, but it feels good.

I wondered how other’s were coping in this new, isolated world - what’s working for you and what isn’t working? Are you giving the impression of being super effcient while actually you’re struggling to focus on anything…i’d love to hear from others on this.

Stay awesome :slight_smile:

Sarah

3 Likes

I’ve been working remotely for a few weeks now. If it weren’t for actively getting treatment including medication to help mitigate the ADHD I would be floundering. Fortunately the medication helps me stay focused and organized throughout the day. I still struggle after it wears off, but at least I can do the critical things that have to be done. I feel fortunate.

2 Likes

Well first let me welcome you to our group . . . There are so many similarities amongst us. So many differences as well. As for me, my situation is very different than yours given the fact that I am a 73-year-old retired man. I was diagnosed in my early 50s. Like you I had suspected for quite some time that I had ADHD. My son who is now 42 years old was diagnosed when he was five years old. It took a while for me to do something about it, but I finally went for a comprehensive evaluation which proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was one of us “brains”.

But, to answer your question . . . I am doing reasonably well. If I was still employed as a social worker in the field of mental health i’d be very concerned. My wife and I are both at high risk with COVID-19. Both, because of our ages and she with a history of five pneumonia‘s over the last 10 years.

We are being very careful to keep social distance from pretty much everyone, including our immediate family. Whenever we go outside we wear a mask . . . Though troubling for us is the fact that many other people do not.

So in a nutshell, we are content if not happy . . . and trying to stay safe!

Coincidentally, my adult daughter is also Sarah. When in high school her best friend had almost the identical name . . . Sara!

Looking forward to hearing from you again . . .

1 Like

Sarah,

I find myself in much the same situation. In reality, I am about as productive as I was in the office, which means about 50% really productive time and 50% going through the motions.

That difficulty is what sent me on this journey. I’ve not been diagnosed, but have just gotten a referral for testing. If I don’t find help, I’m not sure how I can manage another 10 years of work to get to retirement age.

Best to you.
Don

2 Likes

I say “go for it”! While I did get evaluated 17 years before I retired, I did not have the benefit of specific ADHD medication. I tried Adderall for a short period of time but my blood pressure spiked and the psychiatrist told me to stop. Frankly, I was very ambivalent about taking a stimulant medication, or even one that was not. So I did not give myself the potential benefit. I do take Prozac and Wellbutrin which does help with my depression and to a lesser extent with anxiety.

But at work I was less productive than I could have been, had I taken medication for ADHD. I was easily distracted; “lost” papers 10 inches away from my nose on my desk; spent way too much time doing non-priority tasks . . . because I liked them; lost my temper more than once with staff and even some Board Members of the mental health agency that was my employer; would hear discussions and specific instructions . . . and then not remember them . . . or do the tasks. My boss could not believe that my memory was as bad as it was!

Planning, organizing, beginning and finishing assignments was difficult. Even when I knew that I needed to accomplish a task to meet a deadline . . . I often put it on the “back burner”, missing the deadline. After all, as Dr. Ed Hallowell once said: “ADHD people only know two types of time, it’s NOW or it’s NOT NOW!”

I won’t go into what it has been like to live with me . . . My wife of 46 years would have a lot to say about that; though we have managed quite successfully . . . But as she has said many times, “I love you . . . But you’re NOT EASY!”

So like I said up top here . . . GO FOR IT!

And if medication is found to be beneficial . . . Well I would say that you are a lucky person to have that help!

Best of luck to you . . .

1 Like

Hello Sarah, welcome to the gang!

It might be worth making a list of notes for when you get to speak to a doctor, some GPs can be a bit skeptical of adult ADHD and need some convincing.

Unfortunately, NHS ADHD assessments can have fairly long waiting lists, maybe you know this already. There are lots of slef-help techniques that you can try out in the mean time.

Not much new for me, I don’t think I have ever passed for super efficient, but things can only get better. Good luck!

1 Like