SAT accommodations also advice for telling my mom abt ADHD right now 😁

I just realized a really important reason for getting the diagnosis! I’m apporoaching my first PSAT in the eighth grade in a few weeks and it’s a timed test. So it’s very important for me to have that label in order to get accommodations for the real thing in juinior year of high school. Because that’s a very big thing for me taking a super long time on tests! :laughing:
Oh also, I was thinking of texting my mom about ADHD while she’s on her walk right now. She already knows most of my symptoms she just doesn’t know that they’re symptoms of ADHD. Is it unreasonable to ask for advice on what to say to her? Like on a text? I don’t know. If you have any tips that be great. But I doubt anyone will see this in time. But for the future!

EDIT: ok yeah, so maybe texting isn’t the answer. Any tips for how to strike up the convo in person? She already knows all or most of the symptoms. It’s just about bringing up the name ADHD.

1 Like

I’d just suggest that text is probably not the best venue to talk about the diagnosis. Maybe if it’s to start the conversation like, “When you get home can we talk about something I’ve been thinking about and researching?” There’s just too much to say via text.

2 Likes

Yeah I know. Eek. Whenever I see a good moment like in the car literally talking about my issues (symptoms) I get so nervous and don’t know what to say so I just freeze up. But I agree it’s probably not the best idea to do it over text. Hmm.

1 Like

Talking in the car might be a good idea? Y’all can still speak in person but it takes away the awkwardness of being face to face. I would bring it up on the way home ( that way you’re not stuck in the car together for very long and can have some time to breath )
Also, does she have an issue with ADHD? You mentioned she knows your symptoms but not the name
I’ve had accommodations for big test before and it’s really just knowing what you need. When the time comes, I would suggest taking a test class ( which is immensely helpful all by itself ) and use that time to figure out what works for you and what doesn’t. It may change over time, but try to get a general idea

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

2 Likes

Good luck on the PSAT also it can give you a good idea of what areas you need to improve upon for the SAT but I don’t know what the SAT is like since I took the ACT

1 Like

She’s knows most things I struggle with. But I haven’t brought up ADHD. I don’t think she knows much about it. Or all the details like ADHD-I and sturff.

2 Likes