Saying howdy (diagnosed at 40)

Hello, everyone. I hope y’all are well. This is my first day here, so I thought I’d hover around the punch bowl and introduce myself.

I was diagnosed at 40 (a few yrs ago). I have lots more to say, but I would like to save more detailed bits about me for specific forums.

I am grateful to be here, grateful for Jessica’s and her teams’ efforts to make this all - how to adhd - possible, and I’m grateful that y’all are here, too. I’m glad I’m not alone.

Cheers. I look fwd to chatting with y’all in the forums…just not on March 15th.
-brytetyger

3 Likes

I will join you at the new-to-the-forums punch bowl since I just posted today. 36 and diagnosed like 2 days ago, heh. Nice to meet you!

2 Likes

rock-on, Gryph. Cheers to your courage and to new health. Two days, eh? Wow, how have you been feeling the last couple of days (if you don’t mind my asking; that’s a personal question, and I def get if you don’t wanna answer it, at least in a public forum)?

Take care.

3 Likes

Welcome my friend . . . You are in a good place here.

3 Likes

I am actually full of feels and more than happy to share, thank you. I’ve just been trying REALLY HARD not to overload people. xD

36 years is a very long time to fight against your brain and always low key feel like you’re awful bc you’re always changing jobs on a whim or running late or losing things or forgetting appointments, etc. I am one of those “You’re so smart, why can’t you just apply yourself?” people.

So for me I feel this enormous sense of relief that this is just how my brain works. And I didn’t know that before, so I can forgive myself a lot of things. I’m actually really excited to find new ways to work with the brain I have instead of just always being mad at myself.

I know a lot of people don’t like labels and I get that. But for me it’s actually been really freeing and given me motivation to find better ways to work with what I’ve got instead of fighting against it.

2 Likes

Thank you! <3

1 Like

you’re def welcome. It’s kinda a crazy world, and having a community of people living through it through a similar lens to mine helps me a great deal.

2 Likes

thank you, Brooklyn! By the way, if you live in Brooklyn, I was a blink-away from coming up there for the “Bowie Is” exhibit back in 2018. I had booked my air bnb (a short walk from the museum and on the edge of the park). had purchased my plane ticket, but I failed to make it because of poor personal funds management. That kinda broke my heart, because I’m a big Bowie fan, because I needed the break, because I hadn’t (at the time) been to NYC for 23 yrs, and because I love NYC.

Anyhow, thank you for your kindness and warm welcome!

2 Likes