Scatterbrained in Africa

Hi, I’ve come here from other forum - I still like the one I was using, but for some reason the webpage won’t load at all, and I was missing the forum posts from ADDers. :wink: Maybe the other one will get sorted out sometime, but in the meantime I thought I’d just find a new one. I did a quick Google search and this one came up - and I recognized the title from YouTube.

I am not officially diagnosed and have never been on medication (partly my own personal choice, partly I live in an area whether neither diagnoses nor medication are options), and I don’t claim to be an expert or anything, but I am pretty sure I have inattentive-type ADHD, because although I’m not hyperactive, I fit most of the other criteria, and there is a strong history of ADHD in my family.

But whether I have it or not, I have found a lot of benefit from ADHD forums and books and websites, as I’ve picked up many useful tips. And it is helpful to understand that I don’t forget stuff because I’m stupid (which is what I used to think), and also that I’m not alone in doing crazy absent-minded stuff - like last month at my parent’s home, I was staying in their finished basement which has a kitchenette, and I was there for at least a week before I knew there was a microwave in the room. I walked by it every day, but I just hadn’t paid attention to it. :confused: Now I’m learning how to laugh at myself and move on.

I’m looking forward to looking through the website and reading other posts.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Ronelh! We’re glad you’re here :grin:

Yeah that’s pretty common, don’t be afraid to ask for advice or share your own experience!
If you don’t mind me asking, where are you from?

I live in Chad - it’s in central Africa, between Nigeria and Sudan. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nice! Do you speak French or Arabic? There’s an international category on the forum :yum:

I speak French but not Arabic. I already saw and commented on one thread in French, I should see if there are more. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahh ok cool. Was it hard learning French? ( if that’s your 2nd language)

Yes, it’s my second language. I spent a year in language school in France before moving to Chad. And the fact that I have to speak French all the time in daily life helps. :slightly_smiling_face: I found audio comprehension to be the most difficult; I find it hard to focus well enough or long enough to process what people are saying. The rest was not as bad, especially as I actually love languages. I do still have difficulty with a few aspects, like the complicated French verbal system.

1 Like

Ohhh I see. Yeah speaking it in daily life would probably help a lot :sweat_smile: what makes the verbal system so complicated? ( I’m not very familiar with the language)

1 Like

LOL, don’t get me started on the French verb system! :blush: Short answer is, there are dozens and dozens of different forms of every verb.

But to explain that a little further: For starters, there are lots of verb tenses and variations on verb tenses, and even some verb tenses that are only used in literature. Then, each verb tense has multiple forms, since it has to agree in number and person with the subject of the sentence. Sometimes the verb also has to agree with the gender of the subject, or sometimes even the gender of the object. On top of all that, there are a lot of irregular verbs, which you just have to basically memorize. :confused:

Well, I don’t want to bore you too much with French grammar - complicated as it is, I love languages and grammar interests me. But I know it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. :blush: Anyway, there are just too many forms of each verb!

1 Like

Ouch! It sounds a lot like the Latin verb tenses ( except I don’t actually have to speak Latin with anyone :joy: ) why do languages and grammer interest you?

Well, French is a Latin-based language, so that’s probably where it comes from. :slightly_smiling_face: My dad was a professor of Ancient Hebrew and Greek, so I guess I inherited the interest - along with ADHD. :roll_eyes: But I have always found it fascinating to find out how languages work, and how each language has a unique beauty all its own.

1 Like

ahhhh yeah I see. And that’s pretty cool :sunglasses: What a great way to put it!!! Do you have a profession in linguistics

Well, sort of. Linguistics is part of what I do. I’m a consultant for a Bible translation society.

1 Like

That’s awesome!!! What ministry are you working with?

Bibles International - www.biblesint.org

1 Like

Cool! We know a couple that helps with translation in Canada but they’re part of the Wycliffe Bible Translators -https://www.wycliffe.org/

1 Like