*Scattered* Lesson Planning w/ ADHD

Hi all, I have started student teaching and I absolutely LOVE the actual teaching part!! When the students are there I never know what they’re going to say or the mix of personalities and funny answers they’ll show me! I love them and have a ball teaching them! It’s just this “planning” part I’m struggling with.
My planning is so scattered! I’ve written tiny pieces for most grades, but I haven’t gotten a single thing done. When I sit and try to work on one at a time my mind just seems to go blank and I feel really stressed and frustrated.
I’m teaching elementary music, planning for 6 grades. I took SO MANY HOURS just writing down where each grade is developmentally and what they should be learning in music at that point. I found videos, and songs to teach them different musical concepts through.
Anyone have any solutions to getting things like this done?

While not a teacher, I am an educational assistant and this year am working with three different special needs students. When I’m coming up with ideas I tend to have a million thoughts at once, I keep a pad of paper with me and have a section for each kid. I flip back and forth, brain storm, cross stuff out, make a mess… and then from there, I go through each section and make my plans. It’s not perfect, but the messy brain storming on paper seems to help me.

1 Like