School work and hyper focusing

How do you manage to pull yourself away from like a video game or youtube (or these forums) and switch to something less stimulating? (and yes for me these forums are really engaging)

4 Likes

Maybe use video games etc as a reward for completing the jobs you need to do.
But then once you’re on them I’ve no idea how to stop at a reasonable time lol I have the same problem.

3 Likes

How do you reward yourself do you use sticker charts and after so many stickers you get time to play or what?

2 Likes

What I was thinking is that you should just do your homework or whatever before the gaming so it feels like a reward for finishing what you need to do, the only problem then is turning it off when it’s time to sleep and I haven’t found a solution for that yet lol

3 Likes

If it’s like a big assignment that needs more than an evening just decide a time in which you need to complete before the gaming

3 Likes

Well my usual problem is that I get home from practice and watch youtube while eating and then i am then focused on youtube and cant turn it off

1 Like

@vh0622 you defined your problem quite well. @Bubbles17 sent a link 4 days ago about how to trick your brain into doing thinks that seem to be harder (less attractive) It was about dopamine detox.

Ich you are coming home and watch tv while eating, it*s very difficult to switch form this “high dopamine reward” task to doing your school work.
A simple (and less attractive) task would be to break that routine. As some said: Actually using video games as a reward would be a thing.

IN other words: Not to involve in you tube or video games, when you come home and eat.
Actually you could try to focus on just eating and focussing on the food.
Or coming up with others things, which involve you less.
Or, using something like a timer, which really interrupts you, but there still you need the will power not to put the snooze button/ give yourself another and another 15 Minutes.
Or, implementing a new routine. Something like: “As soon as I am finished eating, I go for a brisk walk around the block” -> “As soon as as I come from a walk, I sit down to do my homework” Here you disconnect eating from gaming. You don#t tell yourself " I have to finish gaming" but “Once I am finished eating I go” this is a positive connection, which doesn’t#t mention gaming at all. The interruption of your involvement happens as a side effect, because you can’t watch a YouTube video or play a game, while taking a brisk walk.
Somehow it is about breaking the routine and tricking your mind.

4 Likes

can you send that link i don’t know where it is.

1 Like

I tried, but somehow it didn’t#t work.

2 Likes

Alright i will take a look for it.

1 Like

here is the link for others. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=9QiE-M1LrZk&feature=emb_logo

2 Likes

would be interested what you think about it. rewatched it as well.

2 Likes

I think I also saw something on Jessica’s channel about a dopamine detox day? I havent done it in a while. But just as @annamaria explained, the overly stimulating reward could cause you to not want to do what is less stimulating, which is why people like reward systems. I’m addicted to stickers and I tried it for a few days, where I put it in a calendar for each day and my goal was to fill it up for the day with things I accomplished but it never felt as good to me as checking things off or crossing off a list. I found I just like to collect stickers. But it may work for you i say try it!

I have tried having a day where I dont use my phone, I avoid electronics, I either lay in the room with the curtains closed (and it’s not always easy because I love the sunlight and I have a beautiful view of the mountains) and I keep my ringer off, refuse phone calls and texts and either journal or paint or sleep or anything quiet and relaxing. When I’ve done this, I have found I have a great week after and I can focus because you replenish your dopamine levels. Even spa days or exercise or a nice bath or shower, come into play! I’m struggling now and wishing I took today off as my detox day so I suppose I’ll have to wait until Saturday but I wish you luck in this!!!

4 Likes

I studied hard , did a degree, Pgdip, undiagnosed with dyspraxia, ADHD and aspergers traits !

ADHD stops everything !

2 Likes