Silver Linings Journal

The other day as I was driving with the radio on, I heard John Tesh say something that stuck with me. (If you’re not familiar with him, he’s a musician, author, celebrity, and host of the John Tesh Show…which it turns out it’s what I had tuned in to.)

He mentioned a concept of keeping a “Silver Linings Journal”. It is like a gratitude journal to write in the “lessons learned from life circumstances”.

• Whether you go through good or bad things, you should be able to take away something good/meaningful/insightful. (Even if it’s, “well, I’ll never do THAT again!”)

(I think that he said it was an idea suggested by a psychologist, but I was driving and couldn’t stop to write everything down, and it was the radio, so I couldn’t back it up to replay that part.)

6 Likes

Here’s my “silver linings” insight presently:

So, I’m being let go from my job (as soon as my contract expires). The job where I tried to stretch myself to do something I had never done before.

• Now I know what to expect in that type of job, if I ever try it again.
  • I also know better that I should have spoken up about what I was struggling with, asked for help, for guidance. I should have checked-in with my leadership more often to let them know what tools and training I would need to succeed.
  • I want to go back to working in tech support, which is where I really do my best.

It’s amazing how this mindset can tune your brain to LOOK for the silver linings.

• (Me, the other day) “Will you look at that, there was a tech support position open for hiring at my work!” (I put in an application.)
  • (Me, today) “Well, my wife said to check the hospital website, since they’re always hiring for Environmental Services employees (meaning janitors). Will you look at THAT, they just posted a full-time Tech Support position!” (I’ll be applying to that position tonight. And the janitorial one, too… because “beggars can’t be choosers”.)
4 Likes

I could certainly benefit from such an optimistic view of everyday life . . . I am happy for you!

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

I’ve wished for the ability to “rewind” the radio SO MANY TIMES!

Thank you for sharing the Silver Linings journal concept! I’ll give it a go!

3 Likes

I am new to this forum and tripped over the symbols not knowing what they mean. I will soon learn.

Like everyone I have good days and bad. Sometimes they are just plain confusing.

I recently retired after 30 years of teaching students with special needs. My own struggles as a child helped me teach students how to treat themselves well and learn how they learn best. If I was diagnosed as a child I would not had the experience to help all of my students.

4 Likes

Good luck!

1 Like

I thank you in advance for the stream of consciousness:

I can only suggest that you ’find the podcast’ I believe most radio shows do that nowadays.

Either way most of this sort of advice is best tailored to your perceptions: like for me I road tested the BuJo method for over a year now by putting ‘Everything’ into one journal as prescribed; in the last few months teasing out work from personal out of the journal is causing me to rethink the prescription and adjust to have separate books for separate concerns. Having a single book you know that you can refer to for your own ’silver linings’ (can’t help imagining a tattered old exercise book with alfoil/gold foil lining on the inside covers for this) sounds like a beautiful legacy and a great way to just find ‘that stuff’.

Also reminded that ‘It’s not what happens, for these things happen to most people most of the time; but what you do about it that matters.’ and the scientists will say ‘if it’s not written down; it didn’t happen’

ps: also having a separate note book that you can archive that crappy job or project into frees your mind from it. Today I came up with ‘Letting go of all the crap can free you to hold on, to your sanity’

1 Like

Thanks! I actually got an IT Technician job at a different hospital that a former co-worker told me about. (It’s only 32 hours per week, so even thought it’s a decent hourly wage, it’s just barely enough. I’ll have to get a side-hustle.)

• The work is good, very fulfilling for me, and a welcome change from the strife I was experiencing the last few years.

New strife: relationship issues. I won’t elaborate, but I’m certain that ADHD is a contributing factor, but other personal issues are at play.

3 Likes

My problem with my relationship is we both have ADHD but act in different ways. I hate when he interrupts me. I interrupt myself with out his help. I will start a story and get lost in the middle of a thought. I need to take a moment to remember where I left off.

He will listen for a time and jump in with his idea. I have problems following his Idea and remembering where I left off. I also felt that he did not care what I said and that he thought what he said was more important.

Well I explained how I felt over and over and we finally came to an understanding. He did want to hear what I said but jumped in as many people with ADHD do. So when he notices my frustration he will say something like go ahead or your turn. I finish then he takes his turn. Sometimes we feel like children in a game but it works and we are still married after 40 years. Good luck.

2 Likes

If I had to guess from that little bit of info, of guess that he has the Hyperactive-Impulsive presentation and you have the Inattentive presentation of ADHD.

The two of you are an inspiration (on both points)!

2 Likes

Thank you. I was very upset about how my husband treated me until I took a look at it from the outside. He had no internet on hurting my feelings. We both had different problems that clashed and made simple conversation rather difficult. The more I learned about the intricacies of ADHD the better our relationship became. Yes people with ADHD can have a wonderful relationship with family and friends as long as they are aware of their behavior caused by ADHD.

2 Likes